Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a trracer dream...but need help

I have a trracer dream...but need help

I was thinking of making a trracer accept shells for first strike use, kinda like how the CCM SR1 does. They would be smaller and the body would need to milled out a bit but the first issue i can think of is the bolt not sitting back far enough. Would there be a way to bring the bolt a bit further back in its cycle with out having to re-work the trigger and lowers? i dont need the shells to be as long as the ccm's, maybe just two to three times the length of the first strike round. Any input on this would help. If it idea isnt possible and you know why please let me know.

Thanks

That's going to be tough to fit into the space. The trigger system all interacts at specific locations in the bolt's movement. The only way I can think of that might work, is to move the breech forward rather than bring the bolt system back. But even thinking that through it won't be easy... and it would need a new body tube at least, and a longer bolt.

if the shell is holding the first strike round why not make it part of the breech and not worry about the bolt travel? Essentially you'd have an open breech that gets filled by the shell. The bolt mates into the back of the shell and the shell is the first part of the breech before the the barrel. If you seat the first strikes at the back end of your shell then the bolt would snug it forward when you brought the bolt forward getting a nice seat on the round. You would need to make a larger diameter receiver but you'd probably want a new receiver to lose the feed neck anyway.

That's a great idea. You don't actually have to fully chamber the shell, you only need to push it forwards to seal it against the breech and have the "bolt" seal up against it from behind. You can make that work with an ejector system and likely keep the same stroke as the current system. Sounds a lot more feasible.

I dont think the first strike's really come in different bore sizes between batches but perhaps with weather changes it'd make sense to have a set of shells with different size bores on them. Plus you could color anno them so they looked cool.

They are very consistent from what I have seen, and the styrene they are made of doesn't seem to be affected by the weather to any noticeable degree.

bah, party pooper. You could have a red set and a green set. They'd look awesome in a CO2 rig all lined up. Engrave little radiation symbols on the red ones, biohazard on the blues

I have found some variation in them even in the same box. I use .686 and .688 sizers depending on what I find in the box. I usually spend about 20 minutes sorting them at the game after I buy them (if FPO) I have already sorted all the white ones I have at home into 2 different piles based on size.

Is that due to the skirts being ovalized on some?

The diameter seems to be consistent but the skirts sometimes seem to be a little out of shape.

I've not seen any evidence that it mattered though. Good or bad I am getting amazing consistency out of my FN303 with them and a .690 bore. +/-2fps on the last 15 I put over the chrono.

I think is is probably the skirts I just push them through a .686 sizer and determine by feel which pile I think they should go in to. I have noticed the larger pile ones do shoot a bit slower out of the smaller sizer when using a smooth bore barrel. When I shoot them out of a .683 rifled barrel they do not vary as much. I imagine that shooting out of a .690 would negate any difference in the shape of the skirt. When I get some free time I will take the calipers to the different piles and see if I can get some better data.