Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost 3D scanner... $443!

Low Cost 3D scanner... $443!

Now I could find more use for this than a 3D printer to be honest...

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...shoots-lasers/

The resolution is perfect for 3D printing... I wonder if it can be "adjusted" to yield a higher resolution scan, suitable for CNC machining...

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
    The resolution is perfect for 3D printing... I wonder if it can be "adjusted" to yield a higher resolution scan, suitable for CNC machining...

Ty
    You could certainly take scans and fix any resolution imperfections in your favorite CAD program.

Supports Inception Designs
    this would be great for little projects, or modifying existing products for new functions (ie DAM mag for Hammer 7 or any marker in general)

Great find!
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I'd love to have a 3D scanner. Having difficulty getting just the right look in CAD, but know you can do it in clay/foam/wood/etc... would be perfect for things like that.

Not sure what other programs have a feature like it, but in 3DS Max you can run a smooth or turbosmooth modifier on jagged objects like you might get from welded point clouds with very impressive results.

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    this would be great for little projects, or modifying existing products for new functions (ie DAM mag for Hammer 7 or any marker in general)

Great find!
    Yeah, scanning things like mags and magwells is ideal for this, and was just what I was planning for getting the data back from a magwell if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    I'd love to have a 3D scanner. Having difficulty getting just the right look in CAD, but know you can do it in clay/foam/wood/etc... would be perfect for things like that.
    I've done projects like that before, including goggles and gun bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post

Ty
    I can tweak a lot of stuff and CNC over scan data/stl. One of the custom guns I did once had an stl file embedded in the side, from a scan of a plaque.

I have plans to do similar, but more extreme things like that in the future

Insider
    Is the scanned data all that usable though?

Last time I used a 3D scanner (yeeeears ago) the result was a point-cloud surface that you could knit together, but the detail was so fine that all imperfections/textures on the scanned object came through into the model. And because it's just a mass of points knitted into a surface, you can't adjust or manipulate it easily.

It seems to me the best use for 3D scanners is as a 3D reference to then correctly model around or recreate using proper methods.

It depends on what software you have and what you are trying to do with it. Sometimes it ends up better using the scan to simply surface from to get the look you want.

Sometimes you can machine tools or parts directly from the data, although often you want to optimize it before you do that. The Canadian X-Mag I did for Bob Lohmaier had a scanned head machined into the side of it, and it came out great.

Off-topic, and you may have changed it a while ago, but Simon I like the new avatar logo you have. Is it meant to be a nucleus?

Yep, the concept started around the layout of an atom