Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone want to help out?

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    Something like y0da's open source ION?
    Exactly. I think either starting with that or a blank slate would be perfect. Something simple that could come in a kit or be able to make with simple tools. So simple shapes and using off the rack parts as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    Something like y0da's open source ION?
    Something that places all the parts including electronics in one drop in tube would be ideal. Then users could print frames/grips/triggers etc, and drop in on piece for the rest.?

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks.

We used to have an open source forum here, and unfortunately it kind of died off, and then disappeared completely with the server crash as I didn't add it to the forums when we rebuilt.

I have been trying to work out why it died off. I think if there is any place on the net where it should work, it's here and that's really just down to the phenomenal group of technical people we have condensed here with the right attitude to make this kind of thing work.

I think maybe it died because we needed more people involved. I've spoken to some friends in the industry, one of which is the leading creator of electronic boars, Will from Tadao, and he has come back to join us on the forums again as you can see from some of the posts in the insider section.

I am planning to put the Open Source forum back up here, and give it more attention like it deserves. I am also planning to kick start it and involve it in the opening of Inception Designs with some big news next week and as I release products in the future.

Maybe that will help give it some exposure so we can build a community and make it grow.

Over my years at NPS/KEE I have always helped people wanting to make parts and accessories for the products I have brought to market (it's kind of how I started in this business). I am going to continue that with Inception Designs, and actually go one step further and put it into my business plan. Making files for certain parts and options open source when they aren't critical to the functionality and reputation of the core product. I am also going to make parts and components available in a "raw" state to encourage people to make custom versions and put their own twist onto their products.

Maybe this mindset will be a kick in the industries ass, and a paradigm shift in the industries way of thinking and bringing the industry back to the days when we worked together and everyone was more friendly.

Big news to follow in the next few days and as I get the forums set up here. I'm working my butt off right now, but getting there one step at a time

From the hints you've dropped in a few places about the big news, I was hoping it was something exactly like this

I think a good portion of why it died off is that it can be difficult for people to wrap their head around open source being more than boards and code.

Supports Inception Designs
    Awesome. Squyre and I have been working on some projects to open source, just taking a while to tweak files so that they're ready too. I know Social Paintball (Squyre works for them) is doing something similar to this, perhaps joining forces to accomplish a singular goal (open source) would benefit everyone involved.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I love this idea of open source. I'm glad many people are on board this time. I'd hate to see another fiasco like the WAS stuff ended up being.

I'm a fan of having blanks for customized stuff. I've played around with a cocker body blank some over the years but never really did much with it. I need to polish my Inventor skills and come up with a better design for the milling.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Not in this thread(yet?):

Ttwo - believe he's with BPS (who did the twister autococker)
    Reporting for duty.