Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simplest Marker drivetrain

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    yeah. Def agree with you. I'd think somewhere between half a case or more is usually what people like to see. I think I saw somewhere the theoretical limit w/massless bolt and 100% efficiency w/a 68 4500 tank is somewhere around 2300 shots, so half a case would be a good starting point.

I'll have to look at some of the designs mentioned/derivations of them to see what would work the best.
    depends on the velocity you compute with, but yeah, 2400-2600 is the thermodynamic efficiency limit on 68/45.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    depends on the velocity you compute with, but yeah, 2400-2600 is the thermodynamic efficiency limit on 68/45.
    though so. couldn't remember the exact number.

any ideas on what the avg number of shots a forward bias spool would get?
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Insider
    any ideas on what the avg number of shots a forward bias spool would get?
    Really depends on so many factors. I had a nice drop in for the Ion that used 165in*lbs per shot or so. In the Epiphany, well...I didn't get to test is completely (I might here soon) but per some inital usage it was very low.

The Ion though, does do quite as well, compeltely different air path. Just expect it to be like an Ion at worst? We can guess a bit, but it would be a SWAG until we built and tested it!

Yeah. Well, I'll see what I can come up for a design and try to see about getting some sort of testing criteria established to keep moving forward with this. Still need to do a lot of research on design to make sure that it will be as efficient as possible and yet stick to a simple design.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Insider
    Still need to do a lot of research on design to make sure that it will be as efficient as possible and yet stick to a simple design.
    Well, if efficiency is the top goal.

Kind of like the old "you can have it fast, cheap or good, pick 3" -

Simple, and cheap seems to be the goal, maybe put adequate for efficiency as a goal, then see what you can do after that?

If you are going for 'simplest' and spool, that is very obtainable. It doesn't mean it will be a Shocker Sport just because you are not desiging for efficency. Look at the Ion. It was simple and cheap as a design. Not bad really. We can do better then that.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Well, if efficiency is the top goal.

Kind of like the old "you can have it fast, cheap or good, pick 3" -

Simple, and cheap seems to be the goal, maybe put adequate for efficiency as a goal, then see what you can do after that?

If you are going for 'simplest' and spool, that is very obtainable. It doesn't mean it will be a Shocker Sport just because you are not desiging for efficency. Look at the Ion. It was simple and cheap as a design. Not bad really. We can do better then that.
    Yeah. It wouldn't have to be as efficient as a G6r (different drive train but still) but I think simple/cheap needs to be the main goal, then try and improve efficiency from there if possible.

I do think the ion is a decent starting point for cost/simplicity and I also agree that there's a lot that can be improved upon with a new design (which wouldn't have to be ion based either)

Insider
    So, we know what you want. Start sribbling! You have good CAD skills. I can throw out 1 or two if nothing pops up. Give yourself a few features and go from there.

Features include:
    Mech or Pneu sear
    Air cut off tech (Dye type stufts)

One design I loved but it was finicky was the 'Cat' series by ICD. Very fast cycling, vertical poppet valve design. Should have mentioned it before, they were cool guns. And stupid simple.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    So, we know what you want. Start sribbling! You have good CAD skills. I can throw out 1 or two if nothing pops up. Give yourself a few features and go from there.

Features include:
    Mech or Pneu sear
    Air cut off tech (Dye type stufts)

One design I loved but it was finicky was the 'Cat' series by ICD. Very fast cycling, vertical poppet valve design. Should have mentioned it before, they were cool guns. And stupid simple.
    The 'Cat' series is great. I'll look into those more. I'll probably throw up a new thread (or at least copy some of my ideas from the SSV marker thread) and see what I can come up with.

I think the main problem will be with me being content with a spool design, since I tend to second guess, and usually base my ideas off of an existing drivetrain that I know works. However, with the few ideas that have been brought up, that's at least a good starting point.