Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simplest Marker drivetrain

Supports Inception Designs

Simplest Marker drivetrain

Looking for some ideas on what you'd consider the simplest drive train for paintball markers (ie: spool, poppet, inline blowback, dump valve, etc)

Things to consider:
    Ease of maintenance
    Number of parts
    Ease of machining (not consumer end, but manufacturing since this can effect price)

Trying to get a few ideas fofr future projects. I usually just design without regard for drivetrain, but I want to do this one right.

Thanks a lot!
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I should've probably specified for a semi-auto marker, mech/electro isn't a huge deal, pretty easy to swap most of them back and forth.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I think DP has this pretty well locked-down for spool valve markers, and Kingman has it pretty locked down for STBB. I'm not sure I could come up with anything simpler than either of those.

the dump valve is probably the simplest gun you could ever make. it also has terrible dynamics.

Insider
    I think DP has this pretty well locked-down for spool valve markers, and Kingman has it pretty locked down for STBB. I'm not sure I could come up with anything simpler than either of those.
    I would have to agree. The DP/HP and related are very simple markers, along with the techT based guns. The FS and Mag, or even better the Badger (didn't even have an on/off - just the mag sear) or the Desert Fox (Mag, with poppet on/off)

The Spyder is stupid simple for ST. The FASOR's (Infinity Legend/Wrath) goes in there also, and I would hazard so does the STS we did.

That being said, there could be improvements or alterations to all of those.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I know there's some very simple designs out there so it's nice to see which ones people think of.

As an addendum, let's add in efficiency and reliability to the pot.

Insider
    As a design, a forward bias spooler wither held back by a mechanical or pneumatic sear is always setup to fire, and requires nothing but tripping the sear to work.

With just 1-3 orings that arrangment has one of the easiest designs to activate, fewer failure points and can be made easy to maintain and tear down. Making it efficient I have done, but often that adds an o-ring or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    As a design, a forward bias spooler wither held back by a mechanical or pneumatic sear is always setup to fire, and requires nothing but tripping the sear to work.

With just 1-3 orings that arrangment has one of the easiest designs to activate, fewer failure points and can be made easy to maintain and tear down. Making it efficient I have done, but often that adds an o-ring or 2.
    I was thinking that a forward bias spool would most likely be the best design option. I do agree on the o-ring/efficiency conundrum too. I only mention efficiency because it seems like that's what the market is demanding, or at a minimum it's a good selling point.

Insider
    because it seems like that's what the market is demanding, or at a minimum it's a good selling point.
    Good selling point, but as long as you fall within limits, it isn't an issue. Lucky: expectations for a spooler is not very high.

yeah. Def agree with you. I'd think somewhere between half a case or more is usually what people like to see. I think I saw somewhere the theoretical limit w/massless bolt and 100% efficiency w/a 68 4500 tank is somewhere around 2300 shots, so half a case would be a good starting point.

I'll have to look at some of the designs mentioned/derivations of them to see what would work the best.