Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reddit is wondering what you're doing...

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    However, they were no longer open source by the time they were widely adopted by the market. Sure you can root an android, but most people don't.

The complete android's source code is here(100% open source). http://source.android.com/source/building.html

iOS isn't completely open source but the underlying code (Darwin OS) is open source located here: http://www.opensource.apple.com/
    Last edited by noclue119; 06-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    The complete android's source code is here(100% open source). http://source.android.com/source/building.html

iOS isn't completely open source but the underlying code (Darwin OS) is open source located here: http://www.opensource.apple.com/
    iOS isn't close to open source. Yeah, I forgot about android stuff - but on a side note you won't see the hardware manufacturers open source their files. If you can download the design files for the S4 I'll eat my words, but my only argument is there must always be a way to differentiate yourself from the competition.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 06-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    iOS isn't close to open source. Yeah, I forgot about android stuff - but on a side note you won't see the hardware manufacturers open source their files. If you can download the design files for the S4 I'll eat my words.
    You are right. It is no where near complete open source. But it is cool to check out how raid controllers are written.

Anyways, usually in the open source world, the way you make money is on consulting. Companies like Red Hat, Alfresco and other companies all rely heavily on consulting to make their money.

So Simon what are u consulting on? Twister Cocker?
    Last edited by noclue119; 06-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Android is a funny one - the Kernel is GPL and therefore 100% open source, but the ROM, the UI, it's released under the Apache license which states effectively "once you download it it's your property."

So really, Android manufacturers are only forced to release kernel source and not the ROM itself.

iOS and Mac OSX are both based on other openish OS's... OSX was BSD I believe.. This allows macs to take many unix commands, and of course to port Linux programs and applets to mac easier.

That's not really my point. What I was clumsily trying to convey is that there aren't many (if any) open source products available whose market share is at or even near the top of their market. As soon as something goes open source, it's pretty tough to sell. Nobody buys android, they buy the platform with assumptions about the operating system. And the mobile platforms it runs on certainly aren't open source.

So it really comes down to one question - what is the role of open source, and in particular what role does it have for us in paintball? Are people thinking this is eventually going to become a large share of the market?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

The products aren't entirely open source. The parts that are will always stay that way due to their licensing, and are still freely available as legally required. The open source underpinnings of those products are still successful, and the companies that use them have their proprietary value-add on top of that, and that's how they make money.

Thus far it only seems to have been successful for software. Wonder how much affordable 3D printers can change that, as the constraint on anything else seems to be manufacturing.