Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen this barrel with an o-ring at the end to stop balls from rolling out?

Looks to be in completely the wrong location to achieve anything with most guns.

if it is from a System cocker, the oring could be there to stop double feeds and forcefeed loaders from pushing past the ball detent.

Only it is too far forward to stop the ball at a useful position (it needs to hold the ball in the middle of the breech and this will let it move forwards over half the ball width) and it is too far back to hold the ball once it is in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Looks to be in completely the wrong location to achieve anything with most guns.
    Maybe that's why System-X is out of business? lol

Interesting concept, docfire is correct about Palmer's widgets, they're great on fixed barrel markers because they can be positioned at the middle of the breach as Simon mentioned. Widgets are also effective on slip-fit barrels such as on the SL68-II and 68 Specials. However, widgets are sloped bumps that run lengthwise down the barrel and are probably more forgiving than the small contact point o-ring detent on the Xact barrel.

Of course there's always the old nail polish detent mod that I could never quite get right!

thats not how those barrels came stock, i have one at home that i have yet to be able to sell

that looks more to me like someone messing around, trying to improperly invent the wheel, cause that definitely needs to be up against the threading to be effective

ill take pictures of it when i get home, if people want to see for themselves

Supports Inception Designs
    the Azodin Kaos Pump markers have barrels with o-rings like this on them. They use a much smaller, thinner metric o-ring though but the positioning is about the same if not a bit farther forward. It works pretty well in the Kaos Pumps, but for my money I always use my Dye Boomstick with PPS Wedgits in it for cockers...they can't be beat!

I actually have a barrel that I cut a groove in to use an O ring mod like this before these hit the market. Yes they are the old System X barrels. The company that bought the old stock (I'm guessing) is cutting them in as such.

For an OPEN bolt marker the ball detent holds the balls to keep them from rolling out. When fired the ball gets pushed past the detent and down the barrel.

In a closed bolt like an Excalibur and Cocker the bolt closes and pushes the ball just past the detent, and into the barrel. If you take a barrel that is underbored to the paint that you have and put the barrel on the gun, drop the ball in the feed tube, close the bolt, then unscrew the barrel you will find that the ball is just about half in half out of the barrel. (It helps to tip the gun forward when unscrewing the barrel). The O ring on these barrels in is the proper location from what I have found when tinkering with my own. I actually have about 15 barrels out to a friend who was going to "Oring Mod" them all for me. So this mod actually does serve a purpose and seems to work just fine from my experience.

I am not a fan of the electrical tape, the nail polish, the sizer rings or the widgits because they are not dynamic to fit the change in what paint you are using. With the technology available today you would think "roll outs" would be extinct. I am not a fan of barrel sizers, or inserts or any other system that can't "auto adjust" to the size of paint that is coming through the system. How many times do you borrow paint from someone? Or do you change up in the middle? How often do you size your paint? You go out in the morning, size it and go. You don't care that the temperature goes up 20 degrees and that the paint changes size and such. A dynamic and self adjusting system is a much better option to me.

Anyway... that's my take on it...

First post so Hi Simon!!! Hey Firpo!!! Hi Cougar!!! And the rest of the crew that seems to have migrated over here.

DM

And Sumorai.... why is it a bad idea for fragile paint? It works fine. The orings are soft and pliable. There is room in the channel for the oring to push back into the groove when the ball goes past. It's actually one of the best detent systems out there for closed bolt guns (In my opinion).

And yes I understand this is a necro post as well. Just thought I'd get registered and clarify some points of question.

DM

BOA did this way back in the 90's