Thread: Empire Sniper Bolt

Empire Sniper Bolt

Hi Simon,

I was watching Sticktodrum's Empire Sniper video, when he mentioned how the bolt on the sniper irked him. He was talking about how the detents caused binding/not-smoothness when in cocking it back. He said that CCM guns don't use oring bolts, didn't suffer from excessive blowback, and were much smoother as a result.

When designing the sniper bolt, what was the reasoning for having orings on the bolt??

Sealing to get better efficiency and a quieter shot. Sealing the breech also means you can shoot with a smaller, lower pressure burst of gas which (although it's hard to prove 100%) does seem to help with shooting more fragile paint. You'll notice the large difference in operating pressures between an Empire Sniper and a CCM gun.

You can take them off and have it feel like the CCM if you so wish. You can also remove the hit man mod, and the pump return springs to make it lighter. This way you get choices. You don't have to play with any of those items.

I can't believe anyone actually feels the ball detents on the o-rings during actual play.

The only time anyone notices it is when pumping slowly without playing. I've never noticed it in play.

Anything I ever design is intended for the best results under playing conditions. Not you tube videos.
    Last edited by Simon; 04-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Does sealing the breech really effect sound signature that much?

Also, on an unrelated sidenote, would you consider bringing a Sniper to Tunaball? I'd love to try one out

Yep (depending on a bunch of factors) and yep I always have my Sniper with me.

How much lower are the operating pressures between a CCM and the Sniper?

And also,

My Sniper is bone stock and is at 225psi shooting 290 fps.

People shooting at slight lower velocities have been doing so at just over 200 psi.

CCM's are typically 300+psi.

And you can attribute ~75 psi to orings on the bolt?

Probably not solely. But we have seen drops in velocity when removing the bolt o-rings. I'd have to test it again, or go back and find my records to see what it was. It will depend on the gun, tolerances, paint, paint fit to the barrel, bolt fit to the bore etc.

You can only say it will be one thing if that's the only thing that you are varying.

Any 'sniper' based pump will get blow back out the rear of the bolt without orings. Worst on 1/2 and mid block guns. Even the CCMs.

Even without doing any scientific study on it, loosing air out the back on each shot just doesnt seem like a good idea. All of my mid and half block guns get orings on the bolt. If they dont come like that, they end up with them anyhow. Even my stock class pump mag with the de-volumized valve got an oring on the power tube tip

Smoothness will get better as the detents break in. I messed with the Empire Snipers that the GSP guys are shooting now and I did not notice any "smoothness issues" at all, or anything else that I would have perceived as something that I didnt care for. If I didnt have a gazillion guns right now I would pick one up.
    BigEvilOnline.com - Home of the bad, bad automag people.

I did make bolt for my Sniper. At 1st I did make it without o-rings and I dropped about 35-40 FPS compared to stock. Brought it in the shop cut some o-ring grooves and got the 35-40 FPS back. I was just really looking to have a bolt in it that allowed a ball to drop in the breech and soon as the hammer latched the sear. I suck and will short pump and dry fire a lot if not.