Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Inception Open Source Projects...

Official Inception Open Source Projects...

This is where things are going to get interesting.

Over my years at NPS/KEE I have always helped people wanting to make parts and accessories for the products I have brought to market (it's kind of how I started in this business). I am going to continue that with Inception Designs, and actually go one step further and put it into my business plan. Making files for certain parts and options open source when they aren't critical to the functionality and reputation of the core product. I am also going to make parts and components available in a "raw" state to encourage people, fields and stores to make custom versions and put their own twist onto their products. Obviously I will have finished goods too for those that just want to take it and play

Maybe this mindset will be a kick in the industries ass, and a paradigm shift in the industries way of thinking and bringing the industry back to the days when we worked together and everyone was more friendly.

Big news to follow in the next few days and as I get the forums set up here. I'm working my butt off right now, but getting there one step at a time

There are also many occasions where I have made parts or prototypes just for myself because I wanted them. Sometimes this ends up in industry paradigm shifting products like forcefeed loaders and sometimes it never makes it to the light of day because the "numbers just didn't make sense".

Well in the future if I have already done the work, but the "numbers" don't make sense (like the First Strike magazine for the Empire Trracer, or the bottom line kit for that gun), rather than box it away never to see the light of day, I am going to release it to the community and give it a chance at life. If the community embraces it and the open source project is a success, who knows maybe we will continue with the community and do something like a kickstarter project to bring it all the way to fruition.

I've had too many cool things stuck in a closet and not make it out. It's time for a paradigm shift and for the community to have more options and more control of the products it wants.
    Last edited by Simon; 05-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.

It's what we need. Get away from the patent wars and start innovating once again.

Supports Inception Designs
    Awesome! I have some files/drawings for Planet Eclipse type lever feedneck (which have been copied by many other companies) that I can contribute to this as well. If anything else is needed I'll do what I can to help out as well.
    Last edited by skibbo; 05-11-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I feel like a kid at Christmas and Simon is Santa Clause. Santa, can I have a custom milled axe please!

Insider
    Excellent, have you thought about which OS licenses you'll use?

I am planning the creative commons license.

This one. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/.../3.0/legalcode

Insider
    Using the NC clause would stop aftermarket producers
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

Won't someone please think of poor lurker?
    Last edited by neftaly; 05-11-2013 at 09:26 PM.

I believe it allows sales if the originator of the work agrees to it. I think that's the right way to do it.

Insider
    Also, if you find the time, it'd be nice to have a Wiki to host all this stuff. I can help put one up today if required.