Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Inception Open Source Projects...

For those who don't have access to an sls machine, Shapeways.com will take your STL files, print in your selected material, and ship to you.

Simon,

Shapeways also allows for custom storefronts. This may be a way for your to allow customers the option of ordering printed items without having to handle that side of the work.

Hmmm that's interesting to know. I have had quotes from them before and had some discussions from one of their sales people who, to be honest, came across badly. I have never had them make anything for me. It may be worth taking a look at again.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Hmmm that's interesting to know. I have had quotes from them before and had some discussions from one of their sales people who, to be honest, came across badly. I have never had them make anything for me. It may be worth taking a look at again.
    I have had things made by shapeways by artist Joshua Harker on Kickstarter. The end product was excellent.

looking forward to a click and buy option(or click and print buy)

Wayne
    I have had them make SL parts for me in the past. Good finish, but likely priced too high to make it appealing for customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronobreak View Post
    I have had things made by shapeways by artist Joshua Harker on Kickstarter. The end product was excellent.

looking forward to a click and buy option(or click and print buy)
    Hey Scott, welcome to my forums

Pictures of what you had made?

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    I have had them make SL parts for me in the past. Good finish, but likely priced too high to make it appealing for customers.
    I still prefer SLS parts to be honest and I am hoping the release of some key patents to the public domain may make the technology more affordable and accessible.

Insider
    There have been really nice advances in SLA as well. For a home unit I actually prefer SLA because liquid is less annoying than the powder. Also, less post-processing with SLA

SLA is awesome from those points of view and for accuracy but I haven't yet found any materials that are as close to being as useful as the gf reinforced nylons you get with SLS.

Insider
    Check out some of the suspensions that have ceramics in them (bluestone and the like). SLS is nice because nylon is heat weldable, but in terms of making functional parts once you get out of the epoxy families that practically cold flow you can do some useful stuff with SLA. SLS probably has higher ultimate strength, but a lot of that also has to do with the level of fusion between grains - the fill level is normally only in the low 90 % IIRC, but they can "double lap" the laser and get closer to 97% dense.

SLS also has the advantage that the powder supports the weight of parts, so you can build floating in space, whereas SLA always requires supports. Big difference.

Hopper shells are a pretty challenging application, could be enough to swing it in SLS's favor. I'm definitely looking forward to one of them being the dominant tech, I'm pretty done with FDM

Hey Scott, welcome to my forums

Pictures of what you had made?

sorry for bad pic, I have the Crania anatomica as well as the anatomica de revolutis
    Links to Kickstarter below

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-you?ref=live

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lutis?ref=live

These were SLS and are nice and high resolution as well as very durable feeling.