Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank!!!

Tank!!!

Well, I've kept talkin & some didn't ever think it would be started. I finally was able to pick up the base/platform for the paintball tank build!

I picked it up friday afternoon. Some air in a few of the tires, a little starter fluid, & she was up and runnin again. I actually drove it around the block after I got it off the trailer friday. It was a little rough runnin because of the 2 year old gas in the tank but she runs!

The plan is to have her ready for the start of the 2014 season. I no longer have a full team to help me with the build.(I left NWI at the start of April) 2 of my old team mates & good friends are still planning to help so, it won't be a total solo build. 1st I have to do a few little maint. things on the 8x8 to get done. The planning & design process is from now until build time. I want to have this as well thought out as I can, but I'm sure it will still end up being done by the seat of my pants! The main build will start in Nov.(after the game I am producing is over), the paintball seasons end up here.

Here are some of the build ideas/plans for now:
    1) A lift off tank body.
    -The plan is a wood, netting & foam insulation(to help w/quieting the sounds of all the paint snap/cracking/splating against it) for the main body.
    -a lift off body so I can still take it out on non-paintball trips to the lake(just down the street) with my son. This thing floats! We all float down here!(I love unusal move quotes)
    2) A twin marker/gun set-up on the turret.
    - either 2 RT Automags
    - 2 Tippmann A5's w/rt's
    -or 2 98's w/rt's
    -Tryin to stay away from electros. Want to keep it simple & able to use in any weather.
    3) I really want to keep everything on it made in USA or Canada(only because the Argo is made there, lol) for the time being.
    4) Fans or some other way to keep the driver & gunner cool during the summer months
    5) multiple cameras. at least 2 but maybe more!

Unfortunatly, most of my budget got ate up for this project already. Had to dump $3000 into my truck but now over half my truck has 8000 miles or less on it! lol
    On the plus side, I have a few sheets of plywood left over from a project. Thats one thing I don't have to go get!

If anyone has any ideas they want to throw out here, please feel free. If we use any of them in the build, I will give credit to ya.(your name in 1/8" lettering on the tank! LOL) just kidding! I do plan to photo document the build & do a full write up about it as well.

This will be interesting!
    Weapons of choice: a Sniper & Fuzzy Bunny Slippers!

Insider
    Awesome
    This is my friend Ollie's Argo, he has a rotating turret ring with the gun on an independent pivot. We tried my RT on top, but he has an Ion inside an aluminium Browning M2 he built. There's also a metal triangle on the back with a microphone sensor to act as the "hit" marker.

Absolutely awesome. I almost picked up an argo a month or so back to build into a tank but decided the money was better spent in other ways for the new company.

I was looking at the lift off body concept too. It makes so much sense. You need to build it lightweight though... even wood would soon be pretty heavy...

Don't forget cup holders! Seriuosly though this is a project I have been thinking about for awhile as well. Still waiting on the right priced Argo to come along. I like the idea of the foam for noise reduction. Keep it low profile to keep the weight down and let it roll under trees. I am trying to find a cheap one of these so I can still drive after they try to cover the windshield.

You're right Simon, the wood will be a little heavy for a lift off body. Been thinking about using wood to frame it out & the roof so it can support the turret.(also planning to have this be able to lift off of the body) I can't remember which field I saw it at, but someone did a tank that was mostly field netting for the body. Worst case is I go all wood & have to use my hoist to get it on & off! lol

Yes FLounder, cup holders are a must! lol As for the profile, I plan on the roof line to be 1/2" above my/drivers head. I don't want it too tall.

Why not a tilt forward/backward type design with a hinge? When you want to take it off just undo the pin holding the hinge together. A couple pistons (think like a minivan or wagon's pistons that help raise the rear hatch) would make tilting it a lot easier too.

Not a bad idea lappy! Sorry I haven't been posted anything in a while. Been an unusual summer. I have had the Argo/tank out and about. I found I have to do some re-wiring of most of it, but thats ok because there isn't alot of wiring to begin with! Been working on some body designs on & off in my free time & I have made my choice. The body is going to be a as close to, scaled down...... do I have you all on the edge of your seats yet? it will be an AT-AT from Empire Strikes Back, just shorter & on 8 wheels. Oh oh oh, I could call my tank "Shorty"! lol As for the build, it still going to be Nov before I get it started. Right now I have a ton of props to build & a few missions left to write for the scenario game I'm producing. I will post something up on the Inception forums soon, as long as no one objects, about the game! Hope everyones been having a good year!

i would use aluminium pipe(though i have a friend who is a world class welder, so its easy for me to get the welding done), to build the cage/frame. then use lexan that is bolted to the cage. you can add or remove as many panels as you want, as well as it would be light. the mesh/camoflage netting(like what's on your friends rig) would act like spaced armor, dissipating the energy, so the impact on the lexan wouldn't be that bad. as well as you can add in stiffeners to the frame, so the lexan doesn't have to flex. and don't be afraid of the aluminium. a sawzall, drill and some imagination is all you really need. hell, if you do it right, you don't even need to weld it.

as for firepower, i would go with a twin turret of RT valved mags you could even put warps or modded halo's to feed them. the L10 kits in there along would save from any possible chance of breaking paint and you can fire as fast as you want with them.

With the lexan though it would be like driving in a fishbowl which would make it almost unbearably hot on a sunny day

look into Dzus fasteners for attaching removable panels. I used them a lot when I raced and they deff came in super handy....if you are a valken dealer they have their own version/brand of them for pretty reasonable prices....