Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Inception Designs "Pico" 100 round force feed body shell system

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    So in the actual stack, you get what, 8 balls under tension? So, to do let's say 50% better than gravity, that's 8*3=25g force *1.5x = 36g force

36/454=0.08 lb

If we want to feed 100 balls, at .75" linear translation per ball,

100*.75*0.08 = 6 in-lb force

throw a factor of 2 in there and we're at 12 or 15 in-lb energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainspring

hrmmmm mcmastering....

Constant force springs...

9293K44 $7.41

Compact enough to fit inside the halo drive cone right at the bottom.

Halo wheel is about 3.5" dia, so ~7:1 reduction in force on 1.03 lb load

This actually seems suspiciously perfect.

The only thing that's a little weird is you can't fill the hopper, then wind, unless you make the mechanism removable so you wind it and snap it into place or something. otherwise you're on the hook for winding a bunch of turns, then pouring paint in to act as your stop. My math also assumes perfect filling of the catch can, but for 100 rnds you've got at least 45 balls of extra wind in that spring according to my maths
    Doesn't seem like it'd be terrible. I wonder how many turns it would take. I'll have to take a look at my HALO and see what turns gets me those 20ish balls. I'm sure between all the minds here we could design a mechanism that'd allow you a minimal amount of turns/pulls (if linear) to hit that 50 ball mark.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

this seems very possible. I always have good ideas like this just lack the engineering skills to accomplish them. now to figure out how to easily preload the spring.

what about replacing the motor with a adjustable tensioner and using a pulley/gear system to speed up the rip drive?

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    this seems very possible. I always have good ideas like this just lack the engineering skills to accomplish them. now to figure out how to easily preload the spring.

what about replacing the motor with a adjustable tensioner and using a pulley/gear system to speed up the rip drive?
    Why not keep the motor and just change out the gears? Run the motor for a short time to load the spring then have it turn off until its needed to preload again.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

+maybe instead of a circuit board and an on/off button... just a button that winds the motor directly from the battery

+maybe instead of a circuit board and an on/off button... just a button that winds the motor directly from the battery
    That would work. Basically a "wind" button. Just a simple momentary switch would work really easily. Just do a 4 pin push button like the boards have already. Could even be fancy and do up an LED that lights up when the motor's winding. Have it connect to the motor via the same connector the motor has on it already. Should be easy to find a source for them.

Insider
    It's kind of a weird application since it's not being extended OUT, it's expanding into a volume, so what that curvature does to those kind of springs (essentially making to a mainspring) I don't know. If we ignored the fact that it's not being extended straight out it would probably be around 50 turns, which seems like a lot, but at that low a force you're essentially twirling your finger in the air so I'd think you could wind it quick (just maybe not IN game)

Insider
    Why in the world would you want to keep the motor (and therefore, batteries)

less batteries. maybe 2 AAA

less batteries. maybe 2 AAA
    I was testing mine with 2 AA's and seemed to be winding fine. Not 100% sure about how it'd work with a new spring, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Why do you want grub screws and where?
    Sorry I confused with a vlocity how they are mounted together. I just sold my Halo over 3 years ago and now I must buy one again

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Great idea. Might even be worth a new thread?
    Maybe...

You can fix this list under your first post
    And linked to another thread where we can find the pros and cons of the following loader (battery drain, photo sensor, jams with/or not freeway anti jam system, paint sensibility so.) and troubleshooting during installation
    Last edited by Spex33; 05-27-2013 at 07:53 PM.