Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Inception Designs "Pico" 100 round force feed body shell system

checked it out a legends, pretty slick!

I build my own 3d printers. This one was built on a oversized reprap. This is PLA plastic, because im simply out of ABS but it feels dang strong.

did you program in the extra support?

Slic3r has an option for the supports, the printer struggled to print it had to add more supports to get it from failing.

interesting.. im actually looking iinto getting a makerbot, and one of the first things i was going to do was start running some of these bodies to sell (for a reasonable price of course), im glad to know that it can be done with an FDM printer

now to just figure out how to get a makerbot 2x without waiting 2 months...

Supports Inception Designs
    Any chance these will be released in an editable format? That way the design could be adapted to fit other internals/tweak the design (keeping the Inception logo of course). I know that Inventor can't edit the STL file, but other programs may be able to
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    Any chance these will be released in an editable format? That way the design could be adapted to fit other internals/tweak the design (keeping the Inception logo of course). I know that Inventor can't edit the STL file, but other programs may be able to
    I'm fairly certain you could edit them in any modeler, you just wouldn't be able to do it through the model tree. If you've ever done 3d in AutoCAD (prior to whatever Inventor plug-in thing they apparently use now) you will already know what I'm referring to.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    I'm fairly certain you could edit them in any modeler, you just wouldn't be able to do it through the model tree. If you've ever done 3d in AutoCAD (prior to whatever Inventor plug-in thing they apparently use now) you will already know what I'm referring to.
    I think I remember what you're talking about. I'm able to open the file in Inventor but I can't really do anything with it. I may have to try another program (Inventor's been randomly crashing on me anyways)
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    I think I remember what you're talking about. I'm able to open the file in Inventor but I can't really do anything with it. I may have to try another program (Inventor's been randomly crashing on me anyways)
    I don't remember the terminology for the Inventor command. In Pro/e you would use extrude to either add or subtract material. In Solidworks, you'd use the Boss feature in a similar fashion.

You can edit the stl in that you can union / diff the object, but IIRC, the stl lacks the actual vertices. So, if you wanted to add a cube to the side of the hopper, no problem. But if you want to actually modify / distort the shell, you'll have a harder time doing it. Having said that, fwiw, most 3d printable objects on the interweb are in stl format.

I think once I finally get this printer dialed in, I might try printing one, though perhaps I'll print it face down instead of face up.