Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Inception Designs "Pico" 100 round force feed body shell system

Insider
    Does anyone have even rough dimensions of HALO guts? Let's get the mech-only side rolling!

Am I going to have to pull the thing apart again? I just got it back together with that STUPID Hybrid rubber backplate...

Actually, this week might be bad for me. I could this weekend easily, or at least try. Not sure how successful I'd be.

Bet it would be amusing for Simon to see the differences between mine and the real version.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Does anyone have even rough dimensions of HALO guts? Let's get the mech-only side rolling!
    Catch cup is about 3.5" in diameter, ~4.75" from the back of the cup to the front of the raceway, and about 3.5" from the end of the raceway back up to the top of the cup.

Rough halo dims.jpg
    Last edited by skibbo; 05-27-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

question:

is there a way to modify a halo internals to wind up the rip drive to do more then 20 balls? it would be amazing if there was a mechanism like on the bottom of the rotor that you flick and it would preload the spring. that and having the ability to put in a lighter spring that would wind up more then you wouldnt have as fast of a feed but youd be able to preload 50+ balls with a couple of fast flicks of a lever

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    question:

is there a way to modify a halo internals to wind up the rip drive to do more than 20 balls? it would be amazing if there was a mechanism like on the bottom of the rotor that you flick and it would preload the spring. that and having the ability to put in a lighter spring that would wind up more then you wouldn't have as fast of a feed but you'd be able to preload 50+ balls with a couple of fast flicks of a lever
    What you'd have to do is figure out what spring force you'd need to put out those 50+ balls then find a clock spring that matches that force. As for the lever, an offset attachment system could possibly work but you'd need to figure out a way to attach the lever system to the rip drive which would require a modification of the shells.
    Example of system
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Unfortunately that doesn't work as well when applying force to the linear side. You would want to implement a ratcheting system to ensure the lever is always engaging the rotor at an angle so as to ensure rotation and not just linear force applied to the spindle.

the toys i played with a child come to mind that had the rip drive. youd insert a rod with teeth and when you pull it itd spin a top inside the toy.

as for the clock spring, a little modding of the cone and it shouldnt be to hard to figure out.

So far its about $350 on Shapeways.

Any chance that someone can print me these suckers out? I've created a thread on PbN and MCB in March about 3D priniting a pump loader. Looks like Simon jacked it. lol

i was just on that thread, lol

Insider
    So in the actual stack, you get what, 8 balls under tension? So, to do let's say 50% better than gravity, that's 8*3=25g force *1.5x = 36g force

36/454=0.08 lb

If we want to feed 100 balls, at .75" linear translation per ball,

100*.75*0.08 = 6 in-lb force

throw a factor of 2 in there and we're at 12 or 15 in-lb energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainspring

hrmmmm mcmastering....

Constant force springs...

9293K44 $7.41

Compact enough to fit inside the halo drive cone right at the bottom.

Halo wheel is about 3.5" dia, so ~7:1 reduction in force on 1.03 lb load

This actually seems suspiciously perfect.

The only thing that's a little weird is you can't fill the hopper, then wind, unless you make the mechanism removable so you wind it and snap it into place or something. otherwise you're on the hook for winding a bunch of turns, then pouring paint in to act as your stop. My math also assumes perfect filling of the catch can, but for 100 rnds you've got at least 45 balls of extra wind in that spring according to my maths