Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: More small hopper ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Welcome Dave, A hopper with a motor from the top you say... I give you the mach 404 from ZAP...

Here's the Warpig article on it.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/loaders/mach/
    Very cool, was just thinking with the motor on top it would lower the profile. Didn't think there would be any issue with paint flowing around it. Just an idea I have been kicking around in my head for awhile. Don't have access to a 3D printer, so was thinking about trying to make it out of carbon fiber. A friend has done some small stuff in CF for his car. He said the process was not that bad after you fubar the first few.

Carbon fibre would be cool. FUBAR'ing the first few is a normal part of any development process

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Carbon fibre would be cool. FUBAR'ing the first few is a normal part of any development process
    CF would be awesome. You could print the mold out and just go from there. I think it'd be pretty straightforward.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Wow, did not think about that, print out a shell, then CF it. Use a reverse of the shell as my mold. Gears are turning in my head....
    Last edited by pumpmonkey_dave; 05-27-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpmonkey_dave View Post
    Wow, did not think about that, print out a shell, then CF it. Use a reverse of the shell as my mold. Gears are turning in my head....
    Honestly you could use CF or just regular fiberglass if you wanted. CF would look the coolest though. With printing the mold you could basically do anything you wanted for hopper design, just a matter of drawing up the mold and printing it. That way you could use a cheaper material for the mold since you wouldn't have to worry about strength at that point.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Hey Simon,its just an idea...i don't know if you are still perusing this idea but you should make the pico longer but yet reduce make the the top profile longer.Also just an idea but you should try to take some of the internals such as battery's or the board and place them lower behind or in front of the feed neck.Overall i think you should try to produce the pico with a smaller profile but yet still keep the 50 ro 100 rnd capacity.One last thought i think you should have the open source released in a file that can be reopened in solid works so there can be improvement to this great design.PS. love the design and good luck starting up your company and hopefully you can do great things to paintball!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Simon,its just an idea...i don't know if you are still perusing this idea but you should make the pico longer but yet reduce make the the top profile longer.Also just an idea but you should try to take some of the internals such as battery's or the board and place them lower behind or in front of the feed neck.Overall i think you should try to produce the pico with a smaller profile but yet still keep the 50 ro 100 rnd capacity.One last thought i think you should have the open source released in a file that can be reopened in solid works so there can be improvement to this great design.PS. love the design and good luck starting up your company and hopefully you can do great things to paintball!

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for double

I think im going to make a design up on solidworks is their any way I can send you (simon or really anyone else interested)the design or draft you can also email me at mvarga974@gmail.com

I'm not sure if you have one, but by making it longer, you're not going to get proper ball movement towards the catch cup. Speaking of the Pico, I need to email you Simon.

Sure you can get proper movement to the drive cone.cone. Im not saying its has to be a huge amount longer ...but just long enough so you can somehow reduce to profile on to because in my eyes it sits a little too high.I was thinking something like a sports shot but just a bit taller and bulkier for it to be able to use the halo drive mech.

Have you looked at the inside of the Pico shell to see where everything sits in relation to the catch cup? If you go much lower with the top you will only have one ball height available above the top surface, that means you'd have to be a LOT longer to get even close to the same ball count. The height isn't really caused by the balls, more by re-using the Halo Drive system. Re-doing a new low profile drive system would cost big $$$

The board is already behind the feedneck and under the catch cup. The batteries are in front of the feedneck and as low as they can be and still use the battery pack that comes with the original hopper.

The height between the top of the catch cup and the lid hinge screw boss is just over 2 paintballs IIRC to allow them to move freely forwards and backwards.