Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More small hopper ideas

Supports Inception Designs

More small hopper ideas

Figured I'd post here instead of the Pico thread so it won't get all cluttered. The Pico design is awesome, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling on other ideas if people want to change/improve the original design.

Took some quick pictures with other ideas for smaller hoppers following the Pico's design. The small battery is a 3.7 V Li-Ion cell phone battery. The Li-Ion works when it's wired directly to the motor, I don't have a board so no idea how it'd work with that. Square in in the picture for scale.

The 2nd pic shows a 4x AA (6V) battery pack in relation to the normal Halo shell with half of a home brew speed feed. (shell's upside down).

Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Here are two more ideas from the Pico thread (with links):

One is mine.

The other is courtsey of get.lit.up

Here are some ideas that I had and posted in the Pico thread:

I do think that if you could change certain parts of the design it would be possible to downsize it
    I've been looking at mine as well as reading up on other people's ideas (as I'm sure you have been) and I've come up with a few things.

1. No electronics/use clock spring only (not possible with all Halos since some Halo-A models don't have the spring)
    2. Do away with battery door and board area.
    3. Integrate the catch cup into the shell; as per Pump Scout (I think) on PBN.
    4. As catch cup is designed into the shell the motor (as per 1) can be done away with.

If electronics are kept you could still do number 3 although the size savings would be minimal.

An option would be to design an arduino controller or similar small board to run the electronics and perhaps change the voltage required to operate (thus changing the size slightly).

Yet another option would be to do away with the board (for the most part) and rig up a small board that just uses a microphone as a switch ala the Reloader B. Keep it crazy simple and have the motor spin only when the microphone is activated by firing the marker.

If a lower voltage input can be used with the board (not 100% sure if it could but you really only need to feed 12.5; less with a pump) then smaller li-poly batteries could be used.
    Here are a few:
    Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 1300mAh -
    Weight: 25g
    Size: 1.35" x 2.55" x 0.23" (35mm x 65mm x 5.5mm)
    Output: 1300mAh at 3.7V nominal
    and
    Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 2600mAh -
    Weight: 52g
    Size: 2" x 2.55" x 0.30" (51mm x 65mm x 8mm)
    Output: 2600mAh at 3.7V nominal

That could change the size because it would allow battery relocation nearer to the board as shown in the Magna picture.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

I have another unit on the drawing board that I haven't finished yet, which gets rid of the battery pack but keeps the board location. It would allow you to add a lipo battery or similar around the drive train, but was more intended to be a manual wind up version using one of the spring loaded drive systems. It's smaller in front and I lowered the top. Should be around 60ish paintballs (50 in a pod that can be fed through a speedfeed).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I have another unit on the drawing board that I haven't finished yet, which gets rid of the battery pack but keeps the board location. It would allow you to add a lipo battery or similar around the drive train, but was more intended to be a manual wind up version using one of the spring loaded drive systems. It's smaller in front and I lowered the top. Should be around 60ish paintballs (50 in a pod that can be fed through a speedfeed).
    Awesome. Figured you'd have something else drawn up. I've been trying to draw new shells but haven't had much luck yet, since I usually just end up with the Pico design.

I wonder if you could scale this design down to a smaller size lid (like the APP 50 rd pods) to do a speed feed for those.
    Last edited by skibbo; 05-22-2013 at 09:24 PM.

issue mentioned with the halo guts is that they're rather tall...

And now you've made me strip my halo down. I'll see if I can break into a circuit lab and test this board with a 3V input..

Simon, I can't seem to get a good resistance reading from the motor, which means that it's probably the Impedance that matters, correct? If this data is available, can it be made public?

Ps- I feel like a bad engineering student for not knowing about motors... But this is the first time I've dealt with one
    Last edited by new ion?; 05-22-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    issue mentioned with the halo guts is that they're rather tall...

And now you've made me strip my halo down. I'll see if I can break into a circuit lab and test this board with a 3V input..

Simon, I can't seem to get a good resistance reading from the motor, which means that it's probably the Impedance that matters, correct? If this data is available, can it be made public?

Ps- I feel like a bad engineering student for not knowing about motors... But this is the first time I've dealt with one
    I'm thinking about trying to figure out a simple circuit with a microphone switch to get it sound activated without using a reloader b board, even though they're $10 on ansgear

Well since I have a board.. And it looks like perfect breadboard size, I figured I could test stuff out there.

I'm wondering if using a simple switch like this would work (after modification to the raceway)

basically wire it up so it's Normally Closed. When a ball moves past and there's not one behind it the motor turns the drive cone pushing more balls into the raceway.

Sort of like this (pardon the MS Paint terribleness)

Would allow basically not having a board (I think, I'm terrible at electrical engineering).

I'll try this tomorrow with one of mine and see what happens.

hahaha that's exactly how I did it in my original force feed patent. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=w.../US6109252.pdf Fig 19 kind of shows it, but the prototype had the micro switch through the window in a mag powerfeed opening. Worked well

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    hahaha that's exactly how I did it in my original force feed patent. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=w.../US6109252.pdf Fig 19 kind of shows it, but the prototype had the micro switch through the window in a mag powerfeed opening. Worked well
    Funny. Great minds think alike I guess. I should've looked at the patent first, might've given me more ideas. Would be cool to do a box mag like this. Seems like it'd be the simplest.