Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More small hopper ideas

Insider
    Do any boards measure current draw across the motor? I always thought it would be the way to do a "sensorless" design (current would go up when the motor is stalled) and it'd be pretty simple on the EE side. There may be issues with spiking, sensitivity etc - I've never bothered testing.

pretty sure that was the pulse's thing nefalty.

Simon is there any way you can post up more information about the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
    Do any boards measure current draw across the motor? I always thought it would be the way to do a "sensorless" design (current would go up when the motor is stalled) and it'd be pretty simple on the EE side.
    Every forcefeed hopper I've worked on does that. All of the Empire B and Halo B's on up to the Prophecies etc.

I don't have a spec sheet on the motor. There have actually been a few over the years. The original was a mabuchi FA-130RA

Insider
    I built a micro switch version years ago, but instead of just the switch I had a curved part that followed the groove of the feedneck of the hopper. I did it in an egg, and the contact surface was about 1" long (so it could cover the entire travel of the ball, not get caught in between.) It was adjustable with a spring in the front, you you could adjust the tension you wanted paint to feed and the switch was tripped when the tension was reached. No board needed, and it fed at crazy angles and speed with a few other mods (small spring tension paddles.) Easily doing PSP and NPPL speeds.

I have a prototype like that with a long section that pivoted and activated the switch so it had greater tolerance for where the balls stopped. It wasn't adjustable though. Not sure if I have still have the parts or KEE does. I will need to take a look.

Not being an EE I was always looking for simpler mechanical ways to control what was going on. I am a fan of no board needed for many reasons, although for some functionality a board becomes very nice

Insider
    I liked the simple form factor, and that it makes for a loader that doesn't have to cost $200. I know we talked about this years ago and the board is not always a big expense. I don't see though how it would be that hard to have a couple sub $100 loaders on the market that were good enough for PSP and NPPL settings if we just ran no board and a pressure switch.

I have one design I want to try out when the gun is up and rolling. Different layout, should be smallish. Uses the adjustable pressure switch. Might have to chat with you on that one, since you are free lance now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    hahaha that's exactly how I did it in my original force feed patent. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=w.../US6109252.pdf Fig 19 kind of shows it, but the prototype had the micro switch through the window in a mag powerfeed opening. Worked well
    42 is the label number for paintball. I hope that was just a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    68 would be a better coincidence

Insider
    did anyone happen to save a copy of curt hartrung's HALO development blog?

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    Yep, but a good one huh? I may do that on purpose in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
    68 would be a better coincidence
    *Slap* what question is 42 the answer to?....

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    did anyone happen to save a copy of curt hartrung's HALO development blog?
    Nope, but I bet we could find it through the wayback when machine.