Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to make this... Brutus Rotary Mag fed pistol!

Lol, i have a feeling knm would

Insider
    I used email instead of the form this time...

Quote Originally Posted by botach
    Sir
    I'm waiting to hear from our supplier for availability and ETA.. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, please follow up with me
    Thanks
    Mica
    So fingers crossed

let's not put the cart before the horse, gentlemen. i'm all for going crazy with this, but let's get to a viable basis for shooting the FS, and then go off on the design.

i want a working model, something that you can pick up, pull the trigger and it goes bang. something that can be sent along, to all those that want to use it, to play test it, to see how well it works. we are just tossing ideas around, which is fine, but i don't want and i'm sure a couple people here don't want this to turn into a pipe dream with the golden light always at the end of the tunnel.

so let's wait for the dimensions off the TPX and see how we can change it for our needs.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    let's not put the cart before the horse, gentlemen. i'm all for going crazy with this, but let's get to a viable basis for shooting the FS, and then go off on the design.

i want a working model, something that you can pick up, pull the trigger and it goes bang. something that can be sent along, to all those that want to use it, to play test it, to see how well it works. we are just tossing ideas around, which is fine, but i don't want and i'm sure a couple people here don't want this to turn into a pipe dream with the golden light always at the end of the tunnel.

so let's wait for the dimensions off the TPX and see how we can change it for our needs.
    Testing/slow is the best way to do it. I'll have the dims pretty quick here, just been busy with work/other things so I haven't had much time.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

this is why I think making a body for the automag would be the best FIRST design

dont modify anything but the body and rail. leave the valve and frame alone and make it accept cocker barrels.

the result would be the simplest prototype and a SELLABLE PRODUCT

and you wouldnt need to butcher a gun to make it work. anyone who owns an automag can just swap over parts, have fun and swap back. perfect trials
    Last edited by BTAutoMag; 06-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    this is why I think making a body for the automag would be the best FIRST design

dont modify anything but the body and rail. leave the valve and frame alone and make it accept cocker barrels.

and you wouldnt need to butcher a gun to make it work. anyone who owns an automag can just swap over parts, have fun and swap back. perfect trials
    if done the way I'm thinking about doing, you would be able to swap 80% or so of the TPX parts over so in that regard it'd be very similar to a mag design. I'd be worried about FN-303 patents since we're basically copying their design at that point, even if it's open sourced and not sold.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post

i will summarize the idea of this design. i've talked and know Simon well enough that i think i understand design from idea, to paper/CAD, to prototype, to product:

1) the idea is to have a pistol, single hand use. though i love and have used mags since 98, the mag design is ill suited for this. the TPX is an updated "PISTOL" design that Tippmann had contacted Tom Kaye for use in the pistol. the TPX is a newer gen of the Mag or even Sydarm. it isn't that the design is moving away from a Mag base, but its just going with the already created pistol(thus allowing for modification instead of fabrication) for use in the Rotary Mag pistol.

2) this pistol isn't a million seller. $30-40 for a magazine isn't going to go over that well. hell, pistol play is a off-shoot of pump play(or even mag-fed guns) so this is a novelty, IMO. this is just test, not only to create a crazy pistol design, but to put to use this forum and get a community product, from idea to production. the FN303 is a novelty(that works, but with serious modification).

3) the TPX is being pushed because the design is smaller/more compact for use as a pistol than the Mag. there is also the provision for 12 grams, which the mag doesn't have and would need to be fab'ed. this design, if it gets to the production stage, would have to use the cheapest parts. i am extrapolating that the body would be open sourced, 3D printed, with most parts being a drop in, with a couple parts that would need to be made to use this. again a niche product.

though i hate to stifle talk, i think i need to show you where your ideas aren't the best. take no offense about this. hell, i may be totally wrong in my own extrapolations. but here goes:

a) the genus for this isn't to make a carbine, or a constant air gun, but to have a pistol. with a pistol, everything is self contained, with a mag it isn't. though all the parts are there, it will quickly become something, i.e. to have the smallest gun possible, but have a cool magazine.

b) though the design is using parts off one gun, this isn't a mod that you know what it really is, but more of a sleeper or a hidden gem. there is more fun in having something that when people see it, are trying to figure it out, than to have parts slapped onto a gun. whether its the engineering aspect, or the shear idea(i want to get an old toyota or Honda station wagon, put in a Chevy 350 V8, but turn it into a mid-engine car. why, cause it would be cool. but i digress )

c)i hate cocker threads for barrels. they just suck. BUT, they are the defacto standard. there are problems with cocker threaded barrels. they have a long shank(which goes against having a tight pistol package), they take forever to thread in and out, and they will shoot loose or get stuck. we don't even have the design near to think about putting a barrel to it.

d) if we get a working prototype by November, i would be happy. with a project like this, you have to have patience. not only is everyone dealing with distance in talking, but time as well. this is a little side project that is being done here and there.

so i don't want to rain on any one's parade, but this will have many people's hands in it and that alone will make finalizing anything difficult.

Just did the breach quick before supper. Turned out decently. I did find out that an insert would be needed to help thicken the breach where the conical protrusion comes through. The insert is shown in the 2nd picture and is the way we'd have to do it since there's 0.17 MM of material left.

With "insert"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Insider
    I have been waiting since last year for 3-phase power for my mill, starting to get a bit stir-crazy with all these projects I can't finish. August, I'm told.

Anyway I think I know how to do the valve I posted earlier with a horizontal on-off and no short stroking. Turned a mockup last night. Minimum valve length is 32mm behind the paintball, so it'd fit in the Brutus photo with heaps of room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
    I have been waiting since last year for 3-phase power for my mill, starting to get a bit stir-crazy with all these projects I can't finish. August, I'm told.

Anyway I think I know how to do the valve I posted earlier with a horizontal on-off and no short stroking. Turned a mockup last night. Minimum valve length is 32mm behind the paintball, so it'd fit in the Brutus photo with heaps of room to spare.

Interesting. What would you guestimate the price to make one (with materials and machine time) is? If you don't know it's fine, just wanted to compare to the TiPX.