Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to make this... Brutus Rotary Mag fed pistol!

Would take a modified version of the 303 magazine - or a new system that operates similarly - but you could do it without a bolt and use a seal on each side of the round opening in the magazine.

I have partly modeled FN303 mags from another project I was working on.

I will put the files up later. If someone want to borrow a mag to refine the files further then I can mail one out.

We would need to move the magazine up from the image shown so the bolt axis lines up with the mag opening. But I am ok with that.

Making this from a mini or axe may work very well. Cheap commonly available platform. We would need to lose the breech eyes and make some board layout changes. Longer bolt to cross the mag too.

I'd take a 12g change on the Asa or small air tank as a compromise to how we power it. Heck then you could even put a remote nipple on it and run it that way.

Double fisting these would be mean!

Insider
    Remote would be the way I would go with it - you could even make the reg go on the remote tank so all you need is a bolt and a chamber in the pistol. There is a badass little remote system for the TPX on of my buddies in WA has that was very compact, mounted at the top mid of his back, it ran dual tanks for dual pistols. He took a small castle once with it.

A higher pressure valve system would make more sense for the short barrel. Keeping the valve in the grip is doable, then the top just needs to cycle a short bolt. I have a dual action design that would work for a disconnected setup if we want.

Would a 12-gram inside the mag be a possibility? I've never really looked into the guts of an FN303 mag, so I don't know if there's room, but it seems the shots/cartridge might lend well to putting the air in the mag.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Remote would be the way I would go with it - you could even make the reg go on the remote tank so all you need is a bolt and a chamber in the pistol. There is a badass little remote system for the TPX on of my buddies in WA has that was very compact, mounted at the top mid of his back, it ran dual tanks for dual pistols. He took a small castle once with it.

A higher pressure valve system would make more sense for the short barrel. Keeping the valve in the grip is doable, then the top just needs to cycle a short bolt. I have a dual action design that would work for a disconnected setup if we want.
    I'm running into problems with the stock mini valve system so I think that would have to be redone for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Would a 12-gram inside the mag be a possibility? I've never really looked into the guts of an FN303 mag, so I don't know if there's room, but it seems the shots/cartridge might lend well to putting the air in the mag.
    I almost think that running the 12g off of the ASA/Regulator (MINI style) would be the best since it would act as a stabilizer. Basically have it flush to your wrist, which would allow you to basically point your arm wherever you wanted to shoot and go to town.

Spent some time modeling a body that would take the mini internals.
    I tried to mimic the cutouts on the inspiration picture. I 'cut' down the air transfer plate, no idea if it can actually be chopped there or not.
    brutus body.jpg

brutus body 2.jpg

Looking at the original picture it seems like a nearly vertical frame (86 or 90) would work. I'll keep working on this and try to see what I can come up with.
    Last edited by skibbo; 06-16-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Andy, here are files for the FN303 style magazine

http://simonized.com/showthread.php?...=8241#post8241

I think the more parts we can use that are stock and available, the more likely we can get this done. Let's not re-invent anything we don't have to. If we can make just a few parts and then people use a donor gun for the rest, it's way more likely we can get something out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Andy, here are files for the FN303 style magazine

http://simonized.com/showthread.php?...=8241#post8241

I think the more parts we can use that are stock and available, the more likely we can get this done. Let's not re-invent anything we don't have to. If we can make just a few parts and then people use a donor gun for the rest, it's way more likely we can get something out there.
    Thanks for the files. I'll see what more work I could get done. Figuring out the barrel end is the main thing. I agree about using OTR parts vs. custom to make it more viable. The frame will be different than the original image for sure, I'll see what the stock mini frame would look like and how it'd match up with the mags.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Insider
    Now, a separate blow forward bolt would be an option also - Say Phenom bolt with an airtube that is bent 70 degrees or so? That could be a short setup.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Now, a separate blow forward bolt would be an option also - Say Phenom bolt with an airtube that is bent 70 degrees or so? That could be a short setup.
    I was actually thinking about something similar before Simon had mentioned the Mini/Axe platform. I think it could work really well as another option. Figuring out more than one idea is probably the best; I'll see what I have time to design this coming week.

What about no bolt and go NOVA style?

The round is already IN a chamber. It just need a little bit of a clamping action to seal it...

Just sayin