Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dear insiders, how to keep a field afloat?

Got any wi friends you wanna send over? Lol

Unfortunately most of my friends got out of it in college, seems to be a stopping point for a lot of people.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Well gees.

I have always thought that for people to continue returning to the fields it has to be more about the experience than the features. Kinda like the thought behind Starbucks, much better coffe many other places, not another experience that consistent anywhere else.

This doesn't directly help with your original question, but I think it may give you a perspective from someone not involved in a paintball field, a consumer pov.

The reason I go to any particular field is the experience, I'll go anywhere once but if not satisfied won't return at all. I choose a field based on much fun it is for me to play there regardless of features. Part of my fun is the overall experience, the reffing, the ease of maneuvering between games, the lack of douches at said field, and so on...

In my opinion it's not just getting them there, it's making them want to come back.

And to keep it somewhat legit, I try fields that advertise on groupon because most of the time it means decent turn out when those adds run.

Supports Inception Designs
    At least two fields in my area started using Groupon and/or Living Social to bring in new players.

Warplay Paintball, one of these fields, went from around 15-30 folks showing up in fair weather to maxing their existing rental inventory, expanding their rental inventory to over 100 guns, and now maxing that inventory out.

Just got out of a meeting at the local radio station. Advertising is fairly cheap... 1-2 $ a spot for weird hours or internet streaming ads. But what I think we will do is a live brodcast from the field. That gets a dj out to the field to brodcast and hand out prizes for 2 hours. They will advertise where they will be for 2 weeks leading up to the event and what the event is. Not bad for 450 $.

not only will the DJs talk about the game/field, they themselves might actually come to play and then get their friends to come and so on and so forth. and if the DJs are assholes, there might be people wanting to just shoot them once, for the prestige of it. something small can turn into something huge. and like you said, not too bad for $450. just make sure you hook up the DJs for their first time. you have be like the drug dealer. get them hooked and then hit them with the real prices.

Insider
    Follow up on the DJ's with tickets and promo bits for the next couple of months - people will still be thinking about playing for at least 2 months after the show.

Ours were far more then that, in a much smaller town, so that is a great price! They wanted $2k a show iirc.

Also: Email. Get email addresses for field events and days. Just a once a month reminder, if nothing else just a 'state of the field' bit where you talk about new upgrades and such can hit a few dozen or up to hundreds depending on the number of people who get signed up. That could turn into quick "special paint price weekends" that grow the field also

Let us know how the DJ setup goes if you do it! That could turn out to be a real fun time.

Edit: Just got an email yesterday for a scenario game at the local field I was by in WA. From one of the captains on a recruitment run. Letting players write up on FB and through email to bring in your players, maybe with a 'shoot me' day might help also. Some of our regulars were a bit infamous, so having a day where we limit them to a pump would have been a great promotion.
    Last edited by pbjosh; 06-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.

well we have started a "post at least 1 thing on the facebook page a day" rule. whether it be a picture of the field, a random funny paintball related picture, a players post that's shared or a paintball fact.

here's todays https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

and I went down to the copy shop and printed off 100 fliers and have been putting them up EVERYWHERE. am finding out which local companies are just plain mean!

this local coffee shop that has one of those chalkboard signs outside had "support local businesses" written on it yesterday so I walked in with a flier and asked if they could hang it. the lady smiles and takes the flier and reads it "I'm sorry you'd have to clear this with the owner" "Is she around?" "Yes, hold on for a second"

a couple min later this other woman walks out and I ask again. she takes a look at it and hands it back to me and says "I'm not sure how much interest you'd get hanging it here, try the bars down the street"

I hand her the sign again and say "then throw it away, it's only 13 cents out of my pocket but I'll tell everyone how big of a hypocrite you are" she seems confused and asks why she is a hypocrite and I point out her sign out front.

our flier is now in their window

(it was a little bit of a longer convo then that but you get the gist, lol)