Thread: Feedneck threadlocker

Feedneck threadlocker

Alright, so I bought a nano feedneck for my axe and removal of the stock one was a breeze. I went to the store and bought some generic red (permatex) thread locker, screwed on my feedneck and let it cure overnight. The next day I tested it out and the feedneck unscrewed easily. I assumed there was some surface contamination so I cleaned with brake cleaner and tried again, no dice. I tried cleaning again with denatured alcohol, no dice. Then I looked online and saw anodized aluminum is inactive and needs a primer or a primer free formula, so I ordered some loctite 263. I cleaned again with denatured alcohol and yet again the loctite isn't hardening. Is there an alternate product or better yet, what does empire use from the factory?

there should no reason why locktite should not hold...Once i have my morning rockstar i will give it some more thought lol

You need to tighten the threads enough to exclude air for the loctite to set. Are you just screwing it in by hand loosely, or tightening it (not too much though)?

If the threads don't tighten the loctite will never set.

Thanks, yes, I am aware of what an anaerobic compound is/ does. I am tightening it down by hand and certainly not to the extreme. I called Henkel this morning and they suggested that I may have some nitrate (or nitrite... I can't remember) contamination on the surface, which prevents curing. He suggested rinsing the surface with water.

I am completely dumfounded by this. I may try again to tighten it down with a wrench and see if I can get it to seal better. My basis for comparison on tightness would be based on the stock feedneck force (needed to remove) and that was aided by some type of adhesive (white, so I'm assuming it was actually a thread sealant/ 1-part epoxy).

I also called permabond and explained the issue and the tech suggested that a 2-part epoxy in small quantity could do the trick and should still be removable with heat.

I'd be a little nervous about two part epoxy.

Is it an original Nano? I just ask as I have seen some others being called that now.

I always put a little loctite on the threads, then clamp the hopper in the feedneck and turn the hopper by hand to tighten the threads.

Yessir, it's an original nano (I had to wait a long time to find a real one for cheap ).

I'll try tightening it up tighter when I get home tonight. Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how it works (probably Saturday).

if the feedneck isn't tightening down, the threads could be shot. that's the only other reason why it isn't locking in with the loctite.

Threads are perfect on the gun and the feedneck. Not cross-threaded either. It's a problem with the curing of an anaerobic compound on an inactive metal surface. Loctite formula 263 has a secondary curing agent that should allow it to cure without an active metal so it's some surface contamination or air is preventing it from doing it's job.

Potentially stupid question - did you shake the hell out of the bottle of 263? Loctite can separate once in a while, I've had some that worked poorly but was fine once I shook it well.

It appears that the problem may be solved. Before I left for work I cleaned it with denatured alcohol again, shook the bottle fairly rigorously, applied fairly generously, tightened it moderately and left it in my garage (almost 100* outside today). Something in that combination seems to have solved the issue.