Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Micro-Morlock design thread - Now called the DNA board

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    The second one (it is bonded to the blue side, then wraps around to the red side to plug into the ZIF, a top-conductor model http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2dMqjuGRw2o%3d )
    Ah ok. I thought so from your description but I wasn't sure. Nice and easy connection between the board and the OLED too.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Okay got the AXE in today. What I see is a solenoid that LOOKS like it is somehow double-acting, like there is a diode inside it to energize alternating coils. If I am reading the functioning right... gas vents into the grip?

Hall sensor trigger, emitter/detector components are a snap to wire.

So... it.. lets gas in to close the bolt, then opens to vent the gas and let a spring return it? That is just a guess based on not wanting to take the WHOLE thing apart.. it's not mine.

I have bad news and good news. If that is correct, and I see the 4 transistors on there in an H-bridge configuration that I see, then that means current needs to be fed in one way, then another. The DNA cannot do that, it requires 4 transistors to do it poorly, and 6 components to do it right.

The good news is that I am planning, very early on, to have "Skeleton" boards that the DNA will plug into to drop into paintball guns. They will have whatever additional electronics are required to run a particular gun. In most cases it will simply be a blank with connectors on it, but in the case of the AXE I will have to put on an H-Bridge in discreet components. It will be cheap (very cheap) but I will definitely need one for this gun.

I will also publish a wiring diagram so you can build one yourself if you want.

Sorry I don't have better news, unless I mis-understood something. PLEASE correct me if that is that is the case.

-Curt

Here's an animation of the operation of a Mini/Axe. Not sure if it would help or not.

Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

that seemed to render terribly...

Here's one from Andy

Curt, you understand it correctly.

It is energized in one direction with the current to open it and fire the system, waits with no signal (and stays open) then energized in the opposite direction to close the solenoid.

Yes when the solenoid closes off the gas feed port, the air from behind the bolt is vented into the grip.

So I had an idea.

I plan to source a couple of these: http://www.batteryspace.com/Polymer-...-Approved.aspx

Two of them are smaller in every dimension than a 9v battery at only slightly less than a 9v capacity and voltage, plenty. What say I add charging circuitry to Skeleton boards (the DNA doesn't have enough I/O) so you can run your gun off of this pack and charge it by just plugging it in to a USB port, charge your marker like a cellphone and no more buying 9vs.. ever... Wouldn't that be cool? I think so. Sure as hell what I'm doing for my 'cocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    So I had an idea.

I plan to source a couple of these: http://www.batteryspace.com/Polymer-...-Approved.aspx

Two of them are smaller in every dimension than a 9v battery at only slightly less than a 9v capacity and voltage, plenty. What say I add charging circuitry to Skeleton boards (the DNA doesn't have enough I/O) so you can run your gun off of this pack and charge it by just plugging it in to a USB port, charge your marker like a cellphone and no more buying 9vs.. ever... Wouldn't that be cool? I think so. Sure as hell what I'm doing for my 'cocker.
    That would be awesome. 9 volts aren't terrible to buy, but anything to mitigate some cost would be great.

cool.. oh and I just sent off the gold-plated gerbers to the Fab house, check out the blog to see the final screenshots.

Here's the final layout from my end.
    Red side:

Also, here's an overlay of the DNA on the Mini-Morlock (green) from zdspb.com

Last edited by skibbo; 07-27-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Wow... just.... wow. Soooo tiny