Thread: Self Teaching Cad/Cam?

Self Teaching Cad/Cam?

Hi everyone, just joined! At this juncture in my life I dont have the option of going to school to learn the different software types used in cad/cam. I know a lot of people on here are quite capable and qualified, Im just wondering if you think its feasible to try to teach myself. All I have is time right now, and I expect the learning process to be slow and tedious, but rewarding when I can refine my skills into something usable. Is it ludacris to try to learn Solidworks or cad/cam software on my own?

This forum is full of many people much more educated than I, please dont tear me apart if the question is silly, or down right stupid, just slap my hand and tell me Im wrong

Solidworks has a whole plethora of tutorials included with the software. It really covers just about every major aspect of the program. When I was actually taking a Solidworks class, half the class was spent completing those tutorials. There are also many good books that cover the program and serve as a reference. If you can afford Solidworks and tend to be a person who doesn't need to be babysat or guided by the hand, I think you can become very proficient with the program itself.

What it won't teach you is good engineering, design, rendering, and drawing skills. One of the big things with my Solidworks classes was proper drawing layouts with dimensions and all that jazz. Basically, we learned what we needed to know to create work-ready prints. Decent renderings are also something that you will need to work on by yourself. Luckily, the internet has a whole bunch of resources for you to use.

As for CAM, I can't help you there. I don't know much of anything in that arena.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryCottontail View Post
    Hi everyone, just joined! At this juncture in my life I dont have the option of going to school to learn the different software types used in cad/cam. I know a lot of people on here are quite capable and qualified, Im just wondering if you think its feasible to try to teach myself. All I have is time right now, and I expect the learning process to be slow and tedious, but rewarding when I can refine my skills into something usable. Is it ludacris to try to learn Solidworks or cad/cam software on my own?

This forum is full of many people much more educated than I, please dont tear me apart if the question is silly, or down right stupid, just slap my hand and tell me Im wrong
    There's nothing wrong with trying to learn such a thing.

As mentioned above Solidworks has a bunch of tutorials and they are really quite good. If you are going to learn any system right now, that's the one I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by ubooze View Post
    What it won't teach you is good engineering, design, rendering, and drawing skills. One of the big things with my Solidworks classes was proper drawing layouts with dimensions and all that jazz. Basically, we learned what we needed to know to create work-ready prints. Decent renderings are also something that you will need to work on by yourself. Luckily, the internet has a whole bunch of resources for you to use.
    Agreed completely.

Learn to CAD first and then CAM can follow. There are a million you tube videos that will help you along the process too. Getting good at CAD and CAM comes from an appreciation of how the part will be made. DFMA or Design For Manufacturing and Assembly is probably the most valuable thing I ever learnt.

There are also many people here that will be willing to help you with specifics if you post up screen captures or CAD files.

Solidworks has a whole plethora of tutorials included with the software. It really covers just about every major aspect of the program. When I was actually taking a Solidworks class, half the class was spent completing those tutorials. There are also many good books that cover the program and serve as a reference. If you can afford Solidworks and tend to be a person who doesn't need to be babysat or guided by the hand, I think you can become very proficient with the program itself.

As for CAM, I can't help you there. I don't know much of anything in that arena.
    You know, I hadnt considered the artistic aspect of it. Im thinking outloud here, but Im gonna go ahead and say Im awful at drawing anything, huge strike right there. Practicing on drafting paper is probably a good idea before I try to learn any design programs. Shaky hands dont make for good designers, lol.

Wayne
    Everything you input into a mechanical CAD program has to be quantified to a certain extent. If you want a part that's 2 inches long, you draw a line and then change it to 2 inches. I'm not very good at hand drawing things freehanded, but can draft on a board pretty well. Imagination and creativity is much more important than fine motor skills when it comes to CAD. You will mess up, you will have to go back and redesign features or entire parts. That's how things are. Don't get too frustrated, but learn from those times and you will improve as you go.

I suck at drawing by hand. I often tell people that when I draw on a whiteboard and cite it as the reason I use a computer to draw.

GaryCottontail, drawing by hand is not a prerequisite by any means. Just consider that one form of media/tool to visually communicate your ideas. CAD is just another way to communicate your ideas to other people. While drawing by hand is an excellent way to explain simple ideas, more complex things are best done in CAD. Eventually, once you are good with Solidworks, drawing something up quickly no matter what the design is will be like second-nature.

The other beautiful thing about Solidworks is that you can always tweak anything later on down the road or revise/expand upon it. Nothing is ever final.

GaryCottontail, drawing by hand is not a prerequisite by any means. Just consider that one form of media/tool to visually communicate your ideas. CAD is just another way to communicate your ideas to other people. While drawing by hand is an excellent way to explain simple ideas, more complex things are best done in CAD. Eventually, once you are good with Solidworks, drawing something up quickly no matter what the design is will be like second-nature.

The other beautiful thing about Solidworks is that you can always tweak anything later on down the road or revise/expand upon it. Nothing is ever final.
    I really do appreciate the encouragement and quick replies, Ive decided to pick up a copy of solid works and go to town on some tutorials. Im surprised the forum isnt more active, youve obviously got a wealth of information and good people here. Thanks again guys.

We lost a lot of information and people in the recent server crash. We are currently rebuilding.

We do have a lot of great people here that are willing to help though.