Thread: Solidworks the Wrap feature and patterns...

Solidworks the Wrap feature and patterns...

I'm trying to wrap a pattern around 4 sides of a cube, then extrude that pattern. Google/youtube was no help as they all showed how to wrap onto curved surfaces. Is what I want to do even possible? Or is it so simple that I've been working on this for 4 days and I'm missing the forest because all I can see are trees?

Hmm, I am not sure that is possible. Everything I have done is onto one surface. When I want things on different faces I break it down for each face and direction.

You may be able to make one face from the four sides of the cube via a spline and it would work, but it wouldn't be a perfect cube in reality.

Can you break it down for each face?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Hmm, I am not sure that is possible. Everything I have done is onto one surface. When I want things on different faces I break it down for each face and direction.

You may be able to make one face from the four sides of the cube via a spline and it would work, but it wouldn't be a perfect cube in reality.

Can you break it down for each face?
    To add to this, if you right click each face and "sketch on surface" you can make the endpoints of your design coincident (or actually, pierce) so the sketches on each face match up with each other.

Alternatively, you might be able to do it all on one surface, then split the surface into four pieces and use the "move/copy" to piece together your cube, but I haven't used the move/copy feature a lot so I'm not 100% on that.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 07-23-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

It's very cludgy but once I got some other stuff done I did up an example for you. I cannot think of another way to do it.

Edit: I can email it to you or send it to simon so he can host it, the forum doesn't like .SLDPRT files. As you can see it's a single split curve, but there's quite a bit of other shenanigans going on there. That said, it should be a relatively reliable rebuild and since they're surface features it should be relatively quick as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PBSteve; 07-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Simon and PBSteve thanks for the suggestions. You can email me directly if you want bunker_o_matic@yahoo.com. Again, thank you both for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Edit: I can email it to you or send it to simon so he can host it, the forum doesn't like .SLDPRT files.
    hmm, I will try to fix that. Another way may be to zip it and upload the zip file. That way anyone else can check it out too!

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker_o_matic View Post
    I'm trying to wrap a pattern around 4 sides of a cube, then extrude that pattern. Google/youtube was no help as they all showed how to wrap onto curved surfaces. Is what I want to do even possible? Or is it so simple that I've been working on this for 4 days and I'm missing the forest because all I can see are trees?
    I haven't messed with SW for awhile, but can you "merg" two solid models into one?
    In OneCNC I would create the cube and the 'extruded surface' as two seperate solids, then merge them together to create one.
    Last edited by Luke; 07-30-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Insider
    I'm curious what you're trying to do, can you share your file? .sldprt files are fine if you want to email me one.

Sorry for the late reply. Here is what I was working on. I ended up just making 4 patterns of points on the 4 different faces then extrude cutting a sketched hex to the pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Insider
    Yea, I would just extrude two opposing faces, then extend the geometry lines on the other two faces to include the extruded edges one the first two faces, then extrude again...