Page 133 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

Wall street journal reporting trump was key figure, and thus guilty of campaign finance laws:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-...7XdqZqKac5BweM

this is the tip of the iceberg. and this is something we've known since Cohen plead guilty, but its good to know that its fact now. the president has broken the law. full stop. no if ands or buts about it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Again don't have a lot of time for debate so I'm going to throw some dynamite and run.

You start out in 1954 by saying, "N*****, n*****, n*****." By 1968 you can't say "n******" that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states' rights, and all that stuff, and you're getting so abstract. Now, you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites. "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N*****, n*****."
    -Lee Atwater, campaign consultant to Ronald Reagan

https://www.thenation.com/article/ex...hern-strategy/

Irony, with consideration to the above quote, what are the requirements for a policy to be "morally agnostic"? What makes all the border fearmongering different?
    Before Resigning, Jeff Sessions Handcuffed the Justice Department's Ability to Police the Police

Still doing the "States Rights" thing, apparently.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

"Just remember that on November 10th 2018, the President of the United States took time to pander to his base about how "mismanaged" California is due to large forest fires. He didn't mention the 200,000 people who have been evacuated and displaced due to the fires. He didn't mention the people who have lost their lives. He didn't mention the amazing fire crews who have been working around the clock in dangerous terrain to stop the fires."

Apparently Trump thinks the solution is to log shrubs, agave and grass.

Or maybe he's a mindless idiot vomiting the GoP party line on forest management, sponsored by the logging industry.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Here's me two weeks ago in Topenga, among the "trees" that have been mismanaged. By trees I mean shrubs and grass.

And here's a picture from my front steps this morning, where you should be able to see the hills from the picture above in the background:

But seriously, fuck this guy and a big fat fuck you if you support him.

Insider
    The free market wants to log redwoods!

- - - Updated - - -

Also at Gordon what is the racist motive here

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    hahahahah sizegenetics what the fu......k.. hahah
    Last edited by Brad; 10-16-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Seriously, Simon, you should ban politics on this forum, its toxic.

I say y'all should just start the civil war off and get it done with. I have popcorn ready. You go do you. Plenty of guns to go round.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    Seriously, Simon, you should ban politics on this forum, its toxic.
    Yeah, unfortunately it's in line with domestic US politics.

President Donald Trump*s most racially charged comments about immigrants were cited by a federal judge in allowing a lawsuit to proceed over a planned citizenship question for the 2020 census, in a case that*s similar to one already on trial in New York.

Plaintiffs including the nonprofit labor-rights group La Union del Pueblo Entero properly backed their claim that the decision to add the question to the once-a-decade survey for the first time in 70 years was motivated at least in part by discrimination, U.S. District Judge George Hazel said in a ruling Friday in Greenbelt, Maryland.

The judge cited Trump*s controversial Jan. 11 statement in which he described some immigrants of color as *these people from shithole countries* while praising those from nations like Norway. In denying the government*s request to throw out the lawsuit, he also noted Trump*s *degrading comparisons* of immigrants to *animals* who *infest* the country.

*While these statements were not made specifically in relation to the citizenship question they are nonetheless relevant to understanding the administration*s motivations,* the judge said. *And while the use of racial slurs, epithets, or other derogatory language does not alone prove discriminatory intent, it is evidence that official action may be motivated by such an unlawful purpose.*

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    The free market wants to log redwoods!

- - - Updated - - -

Also at Gordon what is the racist motive here
    to answer your question, look at the larger perspective of the republican anti-environmental and anti-climate change plank.

who is going to pay for the costs of pollution, and climate change? who is going to have there economy decimated by climate change? who is going to have there livelihoods and only homes destroyed by climate change? who is going to have to pay to have the rivers cleaned back out after mining disasters? certainly not white, middle and upper class folks who live in the USA. thy might be inconvenienced by climate change, costs will go up for food etc etc, but the folks who will be starving, who will be forced to move, there homes destroyed, there county's economies destroyed .... its not gonna be rich white dudes ....

its going to be people in "shithole countries"

at the upper levels and we are already seeing this the trump's era, the admission that climate change is happening, and that humans are causing it, but that there is nothing we do about it now (not true, but the point remains). and that is because the folks who will have to pay the cost of climate change (thousands with there own lives) are brown people on the other side of the world. and who cares about them?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    @ Steve - I'm actually curious if there is ANY good wildfire prevention solution for your locale - I'm guessing it's mostly that it gets super dry + windy that anything like a firebreak can't work. The only thing I can think of is really awesome surveillance and fast action (drones with water buckets or something?) that prevent the fires from hitting critical mass. That's clearly going to be expensive to implement and comes with a big dose of Big Brother-ishness, but the property damage numbers from these fires have to be astronomical.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."