Page 369 of 418 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370371379 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,690 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    I'm reminded of a scene from Hamilton the musical: (He talked for six hours before the convention) Crowd responds, "Yo, who the f* is this?"

I really don't have the hierarchy experiences that you have with other men, though admittedly I don't tend to speak with other men from the boomer generation that aren't part of my own personal family. Within my family, it does not seem to play out the way you've experienced. It sounds unpleasant - I'd reject wanting to have interactions with people like that, too.
    increasingly that is exactly what happens.

which, is sad on several levels, and easier on several levels. its sad because several of my coworkers are pretty trapped and unhappy in relationships that i get why they are stuck and why they can't break out (and im not claiming to tell them to get divorced either). but they don't want to listen. nothing i can say can help them. and its funny, when we go out to lunch say in mixed generational company, my coworker who is my age will say something about his upcoming wedding or something, and all the boomer guys will calmour to predict or comment on this total strangers motivations, what she wants, what she needs, what will happen (not if, will happen) .... and my co worker and i will just look at each other and share a "oh shit, they are assuming they know everything about everyone again" look. before of course transitioning to the boomers complaining about there own marriages. to which none of us (even the married millennials) can sympathize because none of us trapped ourselves in shit relationships and refuse to do anything about them for decades. seriousnessly, i can only take a decade of "my wife is shitty with money" conversations.

but it does at least mean that increasingly the millennial co-workers will just go out and have actually interesting conversations.

idk, the farther i go in life the less and less i feel like listening to authoritarian (mot often time boomer) men. not all women are the same. not all women want the same things. not all women find the same things attractive. not all women want to live there lives the same. not all women think or feel the same. not all women find the same things frustrating or disappointing or maddening. everyone is different. everyone has different needs and wants.

the one that still gets me, is after a decade, i am still, consistently, told that any woman who doesn't want kids, is lying. all of them. when i say that if that happened, id just leave the relationship, they are super confused.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-08-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

in lighter news, this story blows my mind. the human brain is so amazing: http://www.ayrton-senna.net/the-stor...e-moving-wall/
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    don't look now, you are proving the point.

ie the fact that you guys are clamoring for hierarchy (by putting down my experience), rather than approaching the conversation as equals, proves the point.
    Your post is so egocentric it's difficult to engage on any level.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    I was born in 1986.

Hamilton is very obviously a work of musical genius, I got very into it a month or two ago. Nice backdoor into musical theory and emotional narrative structure.

Yeah, another episode of the 'world according to Gordon'...

You know more than everyone in any given room. Your values are always better, than everyone else, because you have thought everything out to the nth degree that there is no way you could be wrong. You have proven this countless times, and with your "ninja" experiments on if your name is hated over the info, you have failed to grasp the one concept of tact.

With tact, people might take what you have to say, instead of tuning you out. People might even connect with you, instead of relating to you like a pariah and asshole. Hell, people might even want to include you in their reindeer games.

But you'll just post some snide comment, be king of the hashtags, or use a gif to say something, but i don't care. Pbsteve said this without engaging and in 1 line. Kudos, steve...

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Your post is so egocentric it's difficult to engage on any level.
    this proves the point too.

the fact that you can't separate me stating my life experience as fact (it is), is ego centrism, or me attempting to gain hierarchy over anyone else, again, proves that the conversation is about hierarchy, NOT facts. its about establishing who is higher, not about establishing what is true. every response so far besides unfated's has been about me, NOT about the facts of the conversation. and has been about how DESPITE the facts, the hierarchy is something else.

only once we have established a hierarchy, either by trying to take me down, or show further qualifications above and beyond mine, then we can have a conversation about the facts. ie, we won't talk about the details of any of these relationships, until either i have been put down effectively enough, or someone else comes along that we all agree to put at the top of the conversation, often times for totally non-related reasons (ie simon/a mod shows up).

hierarchy. the structure of the participants to the conversation must be established before the conversation about the actual subject matter can take place.

i pose that this is a dumb way of establishing reality.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.

And in fact, the way you orient yourself to "Boomer men" establishes a heirarchy. Surprise!
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I don't know, fly casual

And in that point, any time we decide to share any aspect of our lives in any minute way, is egocentric. Talking about yourself, is egocentric. Telling some fact that you either directly have done or knowledge of, is egocentric. Guess what? A conversation is a give and take, an exchange of ideas, opinions, facts and misinformation. This is how information spreads. If you see yourself in some sort of hierarchy then you have a widely askewed view of life. If you constantly have to establish any kind of hierachy in any way over your college's or friends, then you are poorer in everyway. The more you share, the more pity i have for you...
    Last edited by Nobody; 02-09-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Insider
    Experience may or may not be facts, but regardless it?s from your perspective which is affected by countless other things... ego, prior experience, blah blah blah.

Whoopity doo, Gordon?s better than the boomers he works with.