Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Making paintball more fun for veterans and newbies alike

having just one day means you actually reach critical mass to have a real open/experienced player open play, and allows everyone to show up on the same day, and thus not dilute the player pool. then that critical mass grows on itself.
    Here in NZ we have nowhere near the playerbase to make even that happen. We have walkon rental groups as the money spinner (no own guns allowed, ever, at any field), and then maybe a byo gear day every three months. That's in Wellington, the capital. Auckland is bigger and better but still not that good. Speedball is pretty dead mostly because there's just nobody to play with and no events. There used to be, back in 06...

Hence the weeknight social league - aiming at casual players with jobs and money in the 20-40 age group, and strictly rental gear only at first. We had an indoor, lit field in the CBD. With some decent SM marketing it could work given (dunno what it's like in the US) weeknight indoor social sports are incredibly popular here. A well proven business model. Heck probably 40% of professionals in the cities do it as a fitness thing. The field had 50 cal, Dye i4s for rental masks, airball.

But of course the field shut down because the building had to be demolished after one of the various earthquakes, so that was the end of that idea before it started.
    Last edited by vijil; 01-10-2018 at 02:09 AM.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    Here in NZ we have nowhere near the playerbase to make even that happen. We have walkon rental groups as the money spinner (no own guns allowed, ever, at any field), and then maybe a byo gear day every three months. That's in Wellington, the capital. Auckland is bigger and better but still not that good. Speedball is pretty dead mostly because there's just nobody to play with and no events. There used to be, back in 06...

Hence the weeknight social league - aiming at casual players with jobs and money in the 20-40 age group, and strictly rental gear only at first. We had an indoor, lit field in the CBD. With some decent SM marketing it could work given (dunno what it's like in the US) weeknight indoor social sports are incredibly popular here. A well proven business model. Heck probably 40% of professionals in the cities do it as a fitness thing. The field had 50 cal, Dye i4s for rental masks, airball.

But of course the field shut down because the building had to be demolished after one of the various earthquakes, so that was the end of that idea before it started.
    Night time leagues are the key. Weeknight indoor social sports in the DC area is huge over here as well.

A local field, quite close to me, is building a new play field. It is speedball sized, has shipping containers with doors and windows cut out on the edges and lots of cool large decorative props like a fake missile truck and a real 1930's army jeep that was driven onto the field. The shipping containers have RGB flood lights. During the summer they plan on holding night time games, a first ever for the province. 50 cal and reduced velocity will be available for groups that make private bookings and wish to go that route.

I predict this will do very well with casual players. Middle of the week you can pop down in the evening and have a game that hurts less than normal. It should do well but I think I will suggest to the owner some of these league ideas. Is there a website anywhere for one of these social leagues I can look at as an example of how one is run?

The owner is also thinking of doing laser tag on this new field. And paying me to rig a system to control the RGB flood lights on a per shipping container basis. (Ideas what to do with that if successful welcome.)

Pro paintball is picking up across countries