Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: GCode: open source paintball gun board/software

I've added code for a sleep mode now. It's configurable in the codebase, but I suppose I could add a programming register to control that (although, there's getting to be a long list of those, and I don't like clicking through a million different colors to do programming). Anyway... After 15 seconds of inactivity it puts the board to sleep. It leaves the LED on in a single color to indicate sleep mode, although the LED behavior in sleep mode has been buggy.

Before it goes to sleep it attaches an interrupt to the trigger pin, so when you pull the trigger it wakes up again and fires a shot. It's fairly immediate, so you don't even notice that it was asleep at all. Checking the current with my multimeter, it was drawing 25-30mA while active, and dropped to under 10mA in sleep.

As to the LED issue... I set it to teal before it goes into sleep mode. Sometimes this actually works, sometimes it turns blue, sometimes it turns red, sometimes it doesn't turn on at all. What it seems like is that the chip is deciding to go to sleep whenever it wants, and interrupting the ledColor() call, but that doesn't make sense, since the sleep calls don't occur until after the LED calls are made. I've tried delay()s and NOPs after the ledColor() call and neither worked.

It did the same thing with interrupting serial communications when I was outputting debug code before it went to sleep. Very odd.
    Last edited by sumorai; 06-20-2013 at 10:25 PM.

...and modified the trigger code to debounce the release in addition to the pull. Fixed a few other bugs as well.

There's a couple other things I'd like to fix before I call this 1.0. I also need to do some actual testing while playing with it, and I'm not going to call it 1.0 until I'm comfortable with it, but it's getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
    So, for the record, I've tried my Viking in uncapped ramp with my Z2, a Rotor and three different Spires. The Z2 reliably feeds above 25bps, the others do not.
    you need a Cheetah Board Halo, if you really want to test out speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    you need a Cheetah Board Halo, if you really want to test out speed.
    Not a bad idea. I dunno anyone with one, though. The Z2 is handling 25+ BPS at least.

Speaking of the Cheetah board, I feel like I should keep listing what food I'm eating after reading through his work log on that project.

Tangent: It'd be funny to see a Cheetah board in a Pico. Just because.
    Last edited by sumorai; 06-21-2013 at 01:00 AM.

On Monday when I was testing out the Viking I downloaded a couple of apps on my iPhone that claim to be good ROF indicators. Both "BPS Meter" and "Paintball iShotTimer" turned out to be crap, though. When the gun was clearly shooting in the mid 20s, they'd be saying it was averaging around 10bps. They both also said the max ROF was 35bps! lol..

It's funny, because Ttwo and I had the idea for an app like that back in early 2009 when we were playing AXBL and dealing with their PACT timers. All you need to do is listen to the mic and compute distance between spikes in the volume of the audio stream. Unfortunately, I know nothing about audio programming, so I never did anything about it. Maybe some day I'll teach myself that and write a better ROF app. Maybe. But probably not.

Audio programming is no different than any other DSP - the microphone should be sampling at 44.1 kHz or so... and that gives you a digital signal - you can treat it like any other digital signal. I'd be interested in looking into this, however I'd need to research it a bit more, and finally download the Eclipse and the Android plugins...

Dear Gabriel
    Recently you reported an issue with Paintball iShotTimer - Your Real Trigger Speed using iTunes Report a Problem. This email confirms that you have been issued a refund of $1.99 for this purchase.

Regards,
    The App Store team
    App Store

Had a total "duh!" moment last night. I was checking to see if I could bypass the on-board voltage regulator circuit on the Arduino boards and avoid some wasted current, and realized that if I connect it to the Vcc pin instead of Vin it will bypass that, and my already-regulated 5V can power the board just fine. I swapped that connection this morning. Hopefully will be able to test it tonight.

Also, I forget if I had mentioned it, but I replaced the 7805 with a more efficient, and much smaller, voltage regulator. It's now using one of these.
    Last edited by sumorai; 06-24-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Hi Gabe,

You may remember me, I am Jamie from Nox and used to post a lot in the MacDev forum. While Nox is no more, I am still active designing OEM paintball boards.

Looks like great minds think alike. I have been working on and off on an open source hardware paintball board the last couple of months and just posted up my Eagle files on github. It is an Arduino Leonardo compatible board and will probably work great with the code you are developing. I will likely provide base code for the board using state machine techniques, but the intent for my board is to encourage players to write their own. You can see the files here and I have started a blog here that is very rough and only has one post.

I have a board order in at OSH Park and should have it by July. Hopefully I didn't completely bungle the design, it my first Arduino based board.

Jamie
    Last edited by moorejl57; 06-24-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: word change

Quote Originally Posted by moorejl57 View Post
    Hi Gabe,

You may remember me, I am Jamie from Nox and used to post a lot in the MacDev forum. While Nox is no more, I am still active designing OEM paintball boards.

Looks like great minds think alike. I have been working on and off on an open source hardware paintball board the last couple of months and just posted up my Eagle files on github. It is an Arduino Leonardo compatible board and will probably work great with the code you are developing. I will likely provide base code for the board using state machine techniques, but the intent for my board is to encourage players to write their own. You can see the files here and I have started a blog here that is very rough and only has one post.

I have a board order in at OSH Park and should have it by July. Hopefully I didn't completely bungle the design, it my first Arduino based board.

Jamie
    Hey Jamie! I was wondering what happened to you and NOX. I will definitely take a look at those files. I need to spend some time with Eagle CAD tutorials and figure that piece of software out. Hopefully I can get to that within the next week or two. I've got a few more thinks on my todo list, and need to get some more real world testing done before I call my code 1.0, but it's quite close.