Page 185 of 228 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2276

Thread: OT: Politics

there is a fantastic FB page for those images, called "conservatives inadvertently reaching the point and still not figuring it out"

does beg the question .... why dont they get it?

see also, my sig.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Virginia Republicans ruled rrrrrrracist in a court of law, and the supreme Court rules they have no basis to challenge the ruling.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...mandering-case
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    there is a fantastic FB page for those images, called "conservatives inadvertently reaching the point and still not figuring it out"

does beg the question .... why dont they get it?

see also, my sig.
    A good subreddit too

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfAwarewolves/top/
    I don't know, fly casual

Since we're still on the war march to Iran, I want to take a moment to explain something.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/u...b_l-eVvkXvA_tI

A Shia theocracy isn't going to have close ties to a sunni extremist group, not that the detail matters to Trump's base.

This is the Trump administration looking to establish a basis for going to war with Iran using the 2001 authorization for use of military force and make an end run around congress.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

God damnit.

Iranian general says US was warned several times before drone was shot down
    There's no reason not to believe this, Iran has a very large and well-trained military. In addition, due to the geography of the straight it's unlikely the drone could have been over international waters.

AP Source: US was planning to launch retaliatory attacks against Iran Thursday night but abruptly called them off

A well-written comment on the situation:

"People comparing the danger of Trump, Bolton, and Pompeo fooling the country/world into war to the Bush Iraq WMDs but the they miss the size of Iran and the scope of a war with that country.

It*s as big as Germany. Sorry. It has about as many people as Germany. Over 80 million. It*s the 18th most populated country on earth. It*s also the 18th biggest economy in the world as well at about 1.7 Trillion. That*s just behind Canada and Saudi Arabia but hundreds of Billions more than Australia - that underdeveloped defenseless third world country. I didn*t mean to say it was as big as Germany, it*s not even close. It is over 4 times bigger than Germany. It is a massive country with large portions being inhospitable and impassable mountains and deserts. It is not an exaggeration to say that it*s very land is a fortress.

Invading Iran is invading an economy the size of Texas with nearly 3 times the population and more than twice as much area to cover with 10 times the logistical issues. It would make the Vietnam War seem quaint, short, and clean. This ignores that this would almost certainly lead to a cascading series of events that would incite massive, possibly global war. Nearly every probable scenario would result in the deaths of millions as a result of the conflict and its secondary impacts. To accomplish what goals???

If you aren*t terrified of the idea of starting this war I strongly encourage you to speak to a veteran who*s under 80. If the war goes well it would mean years of death and violence on a scale the US has not seen in 2 generations. It won*t go well. I have no idea why we are even considering it.

I*ve posted version of this several times and I e gotten a few response saying the equivalent of *but we*ll just use our Air Force/bombings/missile strikes* or even *we*ll just use nukes.* The first group are scary because they don*t seem to grasp basic math or history. The second are not sane.

The use of ANY nuclear weapons changes the world as we know it. It is the most taboo act of war short of possibly a biological attack. If the order was given it would be better if there were a coup in the US. That would be less destabilizing. Not downplaying that, I*m trying to give a sense of scope. It would break the Western alliance and the US economy, followed by the world, would take a hit to the economy on par with the Great Depression.

Edit: Addition really - Tehran, Iran has a larger population than NYC. Both weigh in at just below 9 Million people. Imagine trying to take any action against a city of that size without committing multiple war crimes by accident. Imagine the response to Katrina, but with war. That*s only a tenth of the population.

There are 5 other cities in Iran with populations over 1 million.

There are 60 more cities with population between 100 thousand and 1 million.

For reference, Albany, NY doesn*t quite have 100 thousand residents. There are 139 OTHER cities in Iran in Albany*s bracket. Source

Edit2 - Call your Representatives! I hadn*t called about this before, but I just did. I actually spoke to a person at the office of Roy Blunt (MO). I started a generic 15 second, you don*t care and I know that, statement of concern and then I switched tactics and asked the person if they knew how many people lived in Iran. In Tehran. If they had a ballpark guess. They didn*t and I told them. I wasn*t calm but I didn*t yell. I begged. I said *Please, this isn*t a political call. War on this scale is unthinkable and nobody is saying anything. You*re THERE. Say something, I*m begging you PLEASE say anything. Just say that you*re scared because you*d be crazy not to be. Please! It*s almost too late, but you*re there. Try. Please.* They were shook by it, not that I expect it to work directly, but they heard those numbers. I*m going to do that some more.

Edit3 - Just had a long conversation with someone in Rep. Ann Wagner*s office. They guessed that Iran had a population of around 500k. Let that sink in. That 1/163 of the right answer. Theran has 18 times that many."

Emperor fuckhead is playing chicken with global conflict to win points with his fuckhead supporters.

"Enforcing the laws on the books"

https://www.theledger.com/news/20190...jwfasjAfMRWkH0

Wouldn't want to let a woman turn in her husband's firearms after attempted battery, the NRA can't have that. Better she die than infringe on his second amendment rights.

"*Altogether, the evidence tells a story that does not match the explanation the Secretary gave for his decision,* Roberts concluded. *We are presented, in other words, with an explanation for agency action that is incongruent with what the record reveals about the agency*s priorities and decision making process.*"

Translation:
    "Wilbur Ross of the Trump administration is a lying sack of shit."
    -The Supreme Court of the United States

Trump's response is entirely predictable: how do we avoid a constitutionally-mandated census!?

constitution? what, you think laws matter?

only to soy-boy libtards.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.