Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's put Cockerpunk on the spot

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    Do you ever sit down and actually consider how very fortunate you are?

Does anyone actually believe that "burning it all down" will result in anything different or better than what you have now, or some version of something that doesn't already exist in the hundreds of different countries around the world?

I'm a very un-political person. I just can't get my head around why there is such a hatred by followers of opposing political sides and why some groups seem bent on supposed radical change. I literally think it is because people have too much time on their hands. I get the whole grass is greener thing, but which fence is everyone looking over and seeing something better than what they already have?

Also, t's a fine line between IDGAF and IAGQALOFAIADTJTGN (I Actually Give Quite A Lot Of Fucks And I Am Doing This Just To Get Noticed). If you truly DGAF you wouldn't post about it everywhere or care what any other group did or didn't think about your life choices.
    I don't think I've ever seen this put quite so well. It's quite a bit nicer than the version that comes to mind way too often of "I'd bet you can find your 'utopia' out there already without trying to fundamentally transform my nation, which for all its faults isn't anywhere near the shittiest place on earth". Thank you, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen this put quite so well. It's quite a bit nicer than the version that comes to mind way too often of "I'd bet you can find your 'utopia' out there already without trying to fundamentally transform my nation, which for all its faults isn't anywhere near the shittiest place on earth". Thank you, Jack.
    make america great again #amidoingitright?

the notion that burning it all down is a good idea comes only from those insulated from the effects of actually burning it all down. its a privileged (and i hate using that word but its applicable in this case) of never having to actually personally pay the price for your shitty ideas being implemented.

it also comes from the fantasy of some, exemplified by the preppers, but not exclusively the psychology of the preppers, that want the end of the world (not in a religious sense, in a practical one).
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Never heard of any preppers that want the end of the world.

They just believe in being prepared for catastrophic circumstances, taking responsibility for your own welfare, not relying on the unreliable nanny state.

Like loosing power for several weeks or longer.

Personally I think its a good thing to think about that scenario.

endeavor to persevere.......

There's being prepared, then there's Jim Bakker.

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Never heard of any preppers that want the end of the world.

They just believe in being prepared for catastrophic circumstances, taking responsibility for your own welfare, not relying on the unreliable nanny state.

Like loosing power for several weeks or longer.

Personally I think its a good thing to think about that scenario.

of course preppers want the end of the world. not that any of them would admit it publicly, or even to themselves.

even your post shows the fetishization of the mythical rugged, independent, provides for all bullshit. so ready, so excited to be ready! also part of it is implying that anyone who isn't a prepper is dependent on the government, or can't survive a week without power. i dont need 10,000 rounds of 5.56mm NATO to survive for a week without power.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 07-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    There's being prepared, then there's Jim Bakker.

Ughhhhh, I can't stand Super Deluxe. Know some people who work there and every single one is the most insufferable douchebag I've ever met.

No clue, but the video is hilarious.

You should watch the original.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Prepping probably has less to do with wanting the end of the world and more to do with an extension of the natural desire for self sufficiency. Many guys, myself included, love the idea of being completely off grid. Solar panels + rainwater tanks + no physical connection to the state grid is very cool, and legal here. Run a Tesla + lifestyle block and enough generation capacity and it's possible to remove your reliance on even gas stations. Food is trickier.

I'm pretty sure there are some primal instincts underlying that desire. I'm also pretty sure they're more prevalent in men, and suspect it's not entirely due to social programming.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Mmmm nothing like that reliance on heavily subsidized, privately owned "green" tech to get off grid

When are we going to start refining our own silicon and growing wafers? Lithium mining, anyone?

I don't think that's fair. Buying things upfront vs ongoing payments gives a few to many years of independence, vs instant problems if the grid goes down for whatever reason. So what if you can't replace the tech, it gives you and the area around you time to recover from whatever disaster.

I live in Wellington, NZ. We're half expecting a 7-8+ earthquake at any time, so some degree of prepping makes perfect sense. As it is we get a 5 or so every year or two, which puts a few major buildings out of action for good each time. In a big one we'd instantly lose our water supply for the entire city and the govt can't afford to mitigate that, for one thing. There's only one road out and the airport would be the first thing to go down. We're taught to prep in primary school.

In the US you live in constant peril of a nationwide zombie outbreak, though it's arguably happened already. So y'all should be prepping.
    Last edited by vijil; 07-04-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies